Ladd leaves tourney, Seay says goodbye

Brianna Campbell / Collegian File Photo
Sylvester Seay bounced back from the flu to play hard in his last game in a Bulldog uniform

The men’s basketball team was down a player Thursday afternoon in its game against Louisiana Tech in the opener of the WAC Tournament. Sophomore guard Mike Ladd was sent home from Reno, Nev. after violating athletic department policy.

“The only thing I could tell you is that it was a violation of our athletic department policy,” Director of Athletics Thomas Boeh said. “Subsequently, this is the appropriate punitive action in that case.”

Ladd made the trip with the team early Wednesday morning and even practiced that day. Head coach Steve Cleveland and his staff did not decide that Ladd would be suspended until later that evening when they went back to the hotel.

“We had not processed it, and when we came back to the hotel and we went through this thing, once all the facts were there, it was very clear what we needed to do,” Cleveland said.

After the decision was made, Ladd was sent back to Fresno to attend classes on Thursday and the ‘Dogs had a few hours to adjust to being a man down for the quarterfinals of the WAC tournament.

With the absence of Ladd, only eight ‘Dogs played in their 74-66 loss to Louisiana Tech. Turnovers, foul trouble and the absence of Ladd led to their defeat.

“Had Mike played, might he have contributed in the game? Certainly,” Cleveland said. “I think, sometimes, when those things happen it unifies guys and puts people together.”

Even though the ‘Dogs lost Mike Ladd for the tournament, he will be back next season according to Athletics Director Thomas Boeh. But they will be losing their one and only senior, Sylvester Seay.

Seay was sick for four days prior to playing Louisiana Tech and managed to only practice once; however, he still finished with 11 points and eight rebounds in 37 minutes, playing in his final game wearing a Bulldog uniform.

“I wish I could have contributed a little bit more and that we could have ended up on the other side of the stick,” Seay said. “I look back, and I had a great time with these guys.”

In his two years at Fresno State, he compiled 980 points, 388 rebounds and 87 assists in 66 games.

“He has grown a great deal in a lot of different ways on and off the court,” Cleveland said.

Cleveland said Seay will complete his degree. He also added that Seay spent the last month competing at a higher level of play.

Minutes after the final buzzer sounded Thursday, the Bulldogs’ lone senior reflected on his career with advice for his teammates.

“It goes by fast. One minute you are here, and the next you are sitting in the situation that I am in,” Seay said. “I was here for five years and you think it is a long time, but it goes by fast.”