Lacrosse falls short in home opener

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Head coach Sue Behme said being a new program is no longer an excuse

After a hard fought matchup in the season home opener, the Fresno State women’s lacrosse team fell short to the Detroit Titans 13-18 on Thursday.

Although Fresno State fans remained hopeful and determined for their diligent lacrosse team to pull through, the home crowd advantage wasn’t enough to help the Bulldogs reach their first victory.

The ‘Dogs trailed 7-9 at the half, but managed to keep the point margin within four throughout the rest of the game.

Freshman Amanda Cross continued to lead the team in scoring with four goals and two assists.

“I think she had a good game,” head coach Sue Behme said. “She played smart, she took care of the ball, and she attacked at the right time.”

However, Cross’s offense wasn’t enough to satisfy Behme on her team’s performance.

“It’s disappointing when you take 32 shots on goal and you’re out scored,” Behme said. “It’s frustrating. It shouldn’t happen.”

With the Titans producing a total of 28 turnovers, Behme said there is no excuse her Bulldogs shouldn’t score every time.

“Until we start putting the ball in the back of the net, and every turnover we have doesn’t lead to a goal on the other end, we’re going to continue to struggle,” Behme said.

Matt Weir / The Collegian

In addition to Cross, teammates Sara Weber Margaret Wolford each came up with goals of their own. Weber had three goals while Wolford made two.

The last meeting between the two teams resulted in a Detroit victory 17-3. The titans now lead the series 2-0.

While some are still cutting the Fresno State women’s lacrosse team some slack for being a new program, Behme doesn’t think her team deserves that justification anymore.

“There’s no excuse that it’s a new program,” Behme said. “We have enough kids that have played and they’re just not getting the job done.”

This is the new program’s second season at Fresno State and the team has yet to win a game in the 19 they’ve played.

“We’re definitely moving forward,” Behme said. “Our time will come. It’s hard to be patient, but we’ve got to keep working hard.”

Up next, the Bulldogs will face Iona on March 17 at 7 p.m. in Bulldog Stadium.