Furloughed? Work OT

Over the last year, state employees have been forced to take days off every month, without pay. By implementing this plan, Gov. Schwarzenegger intended to save our state $1.2 billion, or so he thought.

LA Times writer Patrick McGreevy’s March 6 article entitled, “Overtime pay may be putting a dent in state’s furlough savings,” introduced some stunning facts about state employees raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime pay.

McGreevy mentioned prison nurse Nellie Larot, as an example. Because of the furlough days, $10,000 was cut out of her salary last year, bringing her wage down to $92,000.

McGreevy went on to say that Larot worked extra shifts, resulting in $177,512 worth of overtime pay, thus bringing her total income for 2009 to $270,000. Now that’s overtime!

Larot tripled her salary by working more shifts and still had three unpaid days off each month last year. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to find a private sector business that operates like that, especially with salary figures that high.

One might ask what Larot does as a prison nurse. According to the McGreevy’s piece, Larot works for the Department of Corrections Deuel Vocational Institution in Tracy, Calif.

McGreevy wrote, in a quotation from a spokesman for the California Prison Healthcare Receivership, “She ‘legitimately earned’ her overtime with much of it spent overseeing newly admitted prison inmates on suicide watch.”

The state of California just paid a prison nurse $270,000 last year to watch prisoners, in an attempt to prevent them from killing themselves. That’s disturbing. What’s worse is that Larot is not the only employee soaking up this much overtime.

McGreevy also said in his article, “The top 50 overtime recipients each received over $100,000 in extra compensation.” Who knows how many more state employees make close to $100,000 in overtime and are not in the top 50.

Obviously, for some positions, furloughs mean absolutely nothing. If some state employees are subject to furlough days, but allowed to work extra shifts, what’s the point of the furloughs in the first place?

McGreevy said in the article that some occupations require someone to be on duty 24 hours a day, seven days per week.

To alleviate the furlough days and potential fatigue from working so many hours, why wouldn’t the state look into hiring an additional nurse for Larot’s occupation, so she wouldn’t have a need to work so many more hours.

If there was an additional nurse in that position, the state would pay both Larot and the other nurse their original salaries of about $100,000 per year. This would save the state roughly $70,000 and create another job, thus putting food on another table.

When Larot was accused of taking advantage of the system by working so many more hours, she said, “I don’t know why people are complaining about the overtime. We work for the overtime. I don’t think it’s anybody’s business.”

What Nurse Larot fails to understand is that people are complaining about the overtime because our state’s bank accounts are overdrawn and what little money is left is almost always spent incorrectly and inefficiently.

And yes, Nurse Larot, it most certainly is our business.

$100
$500

$100
$500

wallace2911Mar 15, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Exactly the kind of idiotic comment I would expect from the raisin capital of the world. Why don't you look around your own campus and ask how furloughs are affecting your fellow students, stupid.

You are paying more in fees for a declining amount of instruction. That probably doesn't matter to a brain-dead Republican, since the amount of education one receives increases intelligence and makes the educated person less likely to accept ridiculous propaganda as revealed truth.

But for students who actually are interested in learning how to think, losing out on up to one-fifth of your classroom instruction means you are getting screwed out of a significant portion of your education.

But that's okay. You wouldn't learn anything in those classes anyway. That is clear from the incredibly stupid content of your commentary. Nice beard though. Keep it. It will make you look hip at the next GOP convention you attend.

Anon.Mar 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Most departments do now allow anyone to work overtime. My husband is an engineer for the State of California and he is not allowed to work even one hour of overtime or even comp. time, yet he puts in over 40 hours a week (and he is furloughed). So, he pretty much works 8 hrs a week free… Wish he could get overtime, as we could definitely use that money. Last week he worked 6.30 – 8.00 Mon, Tue., Thur. and 7 – 6 on Wed.

MOST state workers are no longer allowed any overtime. Its only the people that are “safety” workers or that work in hospitals that are allowed OT most of the time.

AnaMar 15, 2010 at 10:45 am

I agree with what you wrote. The state of California really needs to look at how it spends its money and there are things like this that do not help the budget deficit. Also, I would like to bring up the fact that the post office could easily save a lot of money by looking at how they are paying their employees as well and the fact that there are too many people working for the post office even though there isn't enough money to pay all of the emplyees. There are too many supervisors and the amount of money they use up can be reduced somewhat to help with the budget.