Fraternity helps kids since 1986

Phi Mu Fraternity has been partnering with the Children’s Miracle Network since 1986 and has raised more than $7 million nationally since their founding. The Eta Zeta chapter at Fresno State has been supporting the Children’s Miracle Network in many ways by participating in Kid’s Day and hosting philanthropic events such as the Mr. Phi Guy Competition.

“Our goal is to be able to help the children in any way that we can,” said 19-year-old Christina Modica, the philanthropy chair of the Eta Zeta chapter. “Hopefully this year we can raise over $2,000 for them through the Mr. Phi Guy Competition.”

More than 170 children’s hospitals are supported through the Children’s Miracle Network. They provide care for little or no cost for the children that need it most.

The 2010 Mr. Phi Guy Competition will begin on March 16 with a pageant and culminate with a soccer tournament on March 20. During the pageant, men will compete in categories such as etiquette, talent and swimwear that will test their skills, creativity and desire to stand out from the rest of competition.

New to this year’s event is a sponsorship from the Fresno Fuego Futbol Club. A portion of the team’s ticket sales will go directly to the Children’s Miracle Network. Additionally, the Eta Zeta chapter is holding a fifty-fifty drawing during the game.

“We are trying to get more than the Greek system involved in our philanthropy,” said president of the Eta Zeta chapter Stephanie Mitchell. This year, the Eta Zeta chapter has invited groups such as the ROTC programs and the Sports Medicine Club.

For Phi Mu, helping the Children’s Miracle Network begins with their new member education.

“We watch videos about the Children’s Miracle Network and talk about them in our meetings,” said Jennifer Wright, 22, the new member educator of the Eta Zeta Chapter.

Since the Children’s Hospital Central California moved to Madera, the Eta Zeta chapter has directed their efforts locally.

“We go to the Children’s Hospital Central California and make baby blankets, hand out cards and interact with the kids,” said Wright.

The Eta Zeta chapter even has a playroom dedicated to their efforts for the Children’s Miracle Network located at the Children’s Hospital Central California.

“It didn’t really hit me until I first took a tour of the hospital,” Wright said. “It’s hard to imagine what these kids are going through and how much of an impact we have really made in their lives.”

To donate money, you may contact Christina Modica by phone at 916-479-5716 or donate securely online at http://www.childrenscentralcal.org and click on the donate link on the top of the screen.