Finished in style

Brianna Campbell / Collegian File Photo
‘Dogs finish eighth at the WAC Championships in San Antonio

The women’s swimming and diving team placed eighth overall after a fight to the finish this week at the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championships in San Antonio.

The four-day competition was filled with Bulldog competitors matching their personal bests and setting record times.

The Bulldogs started the competition at full speed, ranking sixth after the first day of competition. This was the teams first ever appearance in an NCAA platform competition.

Freshman diver Stacey Luke came in eighth, after posting a score of 193.47 in the finals. She was followed by teammates Kendra Weeks and Blair Hopkins, who snatched the 13 and 14 spots respectively.

The swimmers for the 200-medley and 800-freestyle posted records as well.

In the 800-freestyle relay, composed of Heidi Gjoen, Stephanie Hatayama, Britney Vogel and Rayanne Nguyen, the team swam for a season best of 7:40.90, nearly seven seconds faster than any Fresno State relay team since head coach Jeanne Fleck’s return.

Going into day two, the ‘Dogs ranked sixth against competitors.

Dani Yoho led the team with a 12-point contribution by posting her season-best time in the 50-freestyle to clinch seventh place.

Teammates Nguyen and Rebecca Strmiska achieved career bests in each of their events. Strmiska knocked off six seconds and Nguyen raced just tenths of a second better then her previous time.

Five Bulldogs achieved season bests in day two. However, the team dropped to ninth place overall in tournament championships.

But they weren’t stopping yet. The team was determined and focused on day three to give an impressive showing and close the gap for the finals of the WAC Championships.

Heidi Gjoen continued to dominate, improving her time by five seconds in the 100-meter backstroke event, filing in at fifth place. She also went away with the most single event points for the ‘Dogs.

Going into the final day of competition, the Bulldogs were able to hang on to rally to an eighth place finish.

The highlight of the day came when Nguyen posted a score of 2:05.09 to reel in major points for the ‘Dogs which placed her at sixth in the 200-butterfly.

The solid eighth place finish in the tournament was a major milestone for the ‘Dogs at the WAC Championships. The hard work showed as the ‘Dogs set numerous records and season bests as the team improved its record from last season.

Coach Fleck said she was proud of her team this season for their determination and fight.

“We improved so much over the past year,” said Fleck in an interview on gobulldogs.com. “I am extremely proud of all of my swimmers and divers and I really can’t wait to come back and do it again next year. We will continue to improve and we will be even better next season.”