College students play large part in Kid’s Day

Since 1988, more than $3.75 million has been raised for the Children’s Hospital.

More than 1,000 Fresno State students were involved Tuesday in the largest charitable event within the Central Valley — Kid’s Day.

Last year, students from almost 50 clubs and organizations raised nearly $30,000 for Children’s Hospital Central California by selling special editions of the Fresno Bee for $1 to motorists surrounding the campus.

The student Kid’s Day Committee made up of 10 students recruited even more student volunteers to participate in Kid’s Day 2010.

A.J. Coronado is a member of the Kid’s Day Committee and Sigma Nu Fraternity. Sigma Nu has been the top seller of Kid’s Day papers for the past several years at Fresno State. Sigma Nu raised nearly $15,000 through Kid’s Day for children in need. This year, Coronado and Sigma Nu plan on selling 4,000 papers to beat last year’s record of $3500.

“It has become a point of pride for our brotherhood to be the top selling organization each year,” Coronado said. “Our competitiveness is a great thing, in the end it’s Children’s Hospital that benefits from it.”

Katelyn Ashton, coordinator for the Children’s Hospital Kid’s Day said Fresno State students take Kid’s Day to a whole new level.

“Fresno State does a phenomenal job of not only recruiting hundreds of volunteers every year, but also for the energy, excitement and originality that the students have while selling papers,” Ashton said.

Ashton said students participating in Kid’s Day have the opportunity to build their resume. She said employers love to see that potential employees have given back to the community and that they are motivated students.

“The biggest reward I get for volunteering is the satisfaction of knowing that Fresno State’s Kid’s Day Committee has put together a successful event,” Coronado said.

Kid’s Day is a one-day event where nearly 5,000 volunteers from 20 communities hit the streets starting at 4 a.m., to sell Kid’s Day editions of the Fresno Bee. Ashton said the paper features compelling patient stories and photographs about the vital pediatric medical care Children’s Hospital provides.

The Kid’s Day edition not only raises awareness, but also much needed funds for families who cannot afford health care.

Kid’s Day has raised more than $3.75 million for the Children’s Hospital since its beginning in 1988. Fresno State students have greatly contributed to the growing Kid’s Day campaign statistic.

The money raised through Kid’s Day goes to fund clinical programs, support services, community outreach and charitable health care at Children’s Hospital.

“I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that all of us have been affected, or know someone who has been affected by Children’s Hospital,” Coronado said. “Sacrificing a few hours for one day a year isn’t a huge price to pay to help save the life of a child.”