Bulldog of the week: Michelle Moses

Matt Weir / Collegian File Photo
Moses was named WAC pitcher of the week after pitching her two first complete games in last week’s tournament

As a sophomore utility player for the Fresno State softball team, Michelle Moses has already accomplished a great deal and conference season has just begun.

This past week, Moses was named the Verizon Wireless Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Pitcher of the Week, but not for the hot bat that Moses is usually praised for, but for her outstanding accomplishments on the mound.

“It felt really good,” said Moses about being named WAC Pitcher of the Week. “I was kind of shocked too, because my role really hasn’t been pitching since I have been here, but it’s a great accomplishment for me.”

Last week, Moses went 2-0 against opponents, pitching a team-high 19 innings. Against Virginia, her first complete seven-inning game pitched in Bulldog uniform, she earned a shut out. The pitcher allowed three hits with no runs, no walks and six strikeouts to put a W in the books.

In her second career-complete game, she topped her previous record of eight strikeouts with 12 to lead the ‘Dogs to victory over New Mexico, 8-2.

While Moses’ contribution to the team was seen on the mound this week, her presence in the batters box has been just as strong. Moses has started in all games this pre-season at the first base position as well as pitcher.

Along with pitching accolades in last week’s play at the Judi Garmen Classic in Fullerton, Calif., Moses hit two home runs against Cal-State Fullerton which brought her total to eight on the season, only two shy from last season.

Moses is fourth overall in the WAC in home runs and RBIs this season.

With her contribution to the team on the mound, first base and in the batter’s box, Moses is sure to make this season a winning season for the Bulldogs.

“I feel like we are the team to beat in the conference,” Moses said. “Everyone is out for us, but it is good because it makes us step up our play.”

Q & A

When did you start playing softball and what made you want to continue at a collegiate level?

I started when I was 7-years-old. My sister played and my parents played. I wanted to do what my big sister did, and just loved the game ever since.

What made you want to play for Fresno State?

Coach [Margie Wright], definitely. I’m close to home and I can’t play in cold weather!

What injury was it last season that set you back?

It was my forearm. We worked really hard on it, the training staff and everything. It’s coming along great.

Are you feeling more confident at the plate this year, leading the team in RBI’s and homeruns?

Well, I definitely know what more to expect this season then I did last season. But, yes, definitely a lot more comfortable.

How did it feel to pitch your first complete game and accomplish a shut out?

It was amazing. Before I came here, my main position was pitcher and the injury set me back a little bit. So, pitching a full seven innings was something I didn’t expect to do, but it was amazing. It feels so much better to be on the mound again and be a help.

If you could give your team a letter grade for this pre-season going into conference, what would it be?

I would probably give us an A. I think we have had our share of ups and downs, but overall we fought. We have played the top teams in the country and it gets us ready for everything else. So, I would give us an A.

What are your plans after you finish school?

I plan on going to PA [Physicians Assistant] school.

Outside of softball, what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I love to hang out with my family. My mom, my sister and I are best friends. We have tons of fun together. We play board games, go to the beach, hang out, go camping, stuff like that.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

Ken CampbellMar 26, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Great article, and this on your birthday! Happy Birthday Brianna! Dad

• K

Ken CampbellMar 26, 2010 at 9:02 am