‘Dogs blown away

Matt Weir / The Collegian
Bulldogs finished eighth overall in their home tournament in light of poor weather conditions

Battling through unfavorable weather conditions and intense competition, the Fresno State men’s golf team struggled in the Fresno Lexus Classic at San Joaquin Country Club Monday and Tuesday.

On day one of the tournament, the Bulldogs as well as their competition, were forced to end early due to darkness. With about six holes still remaining, the ‘Dogs resumed their second round play at 8 a.m. Tuesday before they were able to start the final round in shotgun format, where all players tee off simultaneously at different holes.

“I honestly hate that,” Bhavik Patel said. “You’re forced to rush and it’s just a pain, but it happens.”

In addition to losing light, adverse winds and temperatures took a toll on just about everyone including the Bulldog standout.

“It was brutal,” Patel said. “Especially yesterday, it wasn’t as cold but it was windier and the conditions were a lot different than what the practice round was like.”

Playing in less than suitable weather is something that the Bulldogs are becoming familiar with.

“Every tournament there’s been a chance for rain,” Patel said. “It’s been windy and cold every time so far, we’re pretty much use to it by now.”

Patel (73-69-72””214) headed into Tuesday’s rounds 1-over par after playing 33 holes, and managed to finished seventh overall. Teammate Adam Barkow (76-71-74””221) placed 33rd and Bryan Hogan (75-79-70-224) finished in 61st. The Bulldogs finished eighth overall.

Although the overall outcome of the tournament was a success, head coach Mike Watney wasn’t satisfied with his team’s performance.

“It was not a good weekend for us,” Watney said. “I think the weather played a factor. We play this course all the time, but not in these conditions. The advantage we may have had was gone.”

While Watney took note of the room for improvement, he recognized Patel’s performance respectively.

“Bhavik, our star of the future and who I think will be a PGA tour player, played good as usual,” Watney said.

Regardless of the way he played, Patel enjoyed golfing in front of familiar faces, but unwelcomed weather notably affected his game.

“There’s pros and cons,” Patel said. “Obviously it’s an advantage, but when the weather gets like this anything can happen. Even playing in front of your home crowd can be hard if you’ve been traveling too hard-it can have an affect on your game.”

Coach Watney and the Bulldogs were not completely satisfied with the results, but respectfully accept the wins and losses as they come.

“Overall, as far as the tournament’s concern I’m happy with the way everything went,” Watney said. “As for our team, we did not play well. But that’s sports. Sometimes you’re good sometimes you’re not.”