One Finger Salute: Valentine’s Day Edition

Thumbs up
Valentine’s Day music

What a great time to brush off that Neil Diamond album or break out that Barry White collection your aunt got you two years ago for Christmas. What better way to tell your better half how much you love them than by singing off-key to her words that were written by someone else? In other words, by doing what most modern-day rappers already do.

Thumbs down

The commercialization of St. Valentine

See editorial.

Thumbs up
Heart-shaped Reeses

While we at The Collegian decry the commercialization of Valentine’s Day that our increasingly consumer oriented country brought about, some developments are just too good to hate on. For instance, there are heart-shaped Reeses candy bars. Reeses already had the perfect combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Now they’re adding a heart-shape into the mix? This, ladies and gentlemen, is the height of American ingenuity.

Thumbs down
Valentine’s Day costs

Dinner for two? 50 bucks plus tip. Going to see “Dear John” with your date? 21 bucks, plus what you spend on concessions. Not getting laid on Valentine’s Day? (See Guys: Don’t expect to get laid). Priceless.

Thumbs up

Valentine’s Day cards

What’s better than getting a card from someone letting you know they care about you? It’s these little self-esteem boosters that make life just a little bit easier.

Thumbs down

Valentine’s Day cards

Thanks Hallmark, ahem, significant other for the lovely message. What does Jerry Seinfeld say is the obligatory amount of time one must keep a card? One week? Two weeks? Speakers of Seinlanguage, help me out.