Student Q&A with Jared Yurong

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Basketball was a big part of freshman Jared Yurong’s youth, but now he is focused on finishing college and being able to support his own family.

He is a business major and is thinking about an emphasis in entrepreneurship. He said he has considered starting his own men’s clothing line called Yurong Wear.

Yurong has played basketball since he was in kindergarten, and was the point guard on his high school varsity team for four years.

He plays at the Student Recreation Center from time to time and is part of a division two intramural basketball team called MGK1.

Yurong said family is very important to him, and he would like to be able to support his family like his father has done. He has one younger sister and one younger bother. His father, Dale Yurong, is a news anchor for Channel 30.

Q: What would people find surprising about you?
A: That I used to play basketball in high school, because I’m short and not as big as basketball players now.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?

A: Stuck up girls. I can’t stand them. They think they are too cool – fake girls. They will say hi to you one day and another day they won’t say hi. Or they will act like they are your friends but then sometimes they won’t.

Q: What did you want to be when you were younger?

A: When I was younger I wanted to be a basketball player, but it is not going to happen.

Q: If you had superpowers, what would they be?
A: It would be to fly, so I can finally dunk.

Q: Who is the most influential person in your life?
A: Probably my dad. He grew up in a poor family and went to college. He supports the family now. I am trying to be like that one day.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?
A: Whenever I have time, I like to hang out with friends and just chill and sleep. Sometimes I workout, but not a lot.

Q: What are you passionate about?

A: I am passionate about my family. They come first. They have been there for me, my parents especially.

Q: What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?
A: Duck, but that’s not that weird.

Q: What are you most afraid of?

A: Someone hurting my family or them getting hurt some how. And the doll Chucky scares me. It’s freaky, dolls are not supposed to look like that.

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

A: I would go to Hawaii, because I have not been there yet. I am planning to go some time before I die.