Stem sell research

Students working in Fresno State’s Ornamental Horticulture lab will be working overtime in anticipation of Valentine’s Day weekend.

The lab, which serves as Fresno State Floral, offers items for consumers looking to purchase a single carnation or a dozen colored roses for the Hallmark occasion.

Fresno State Floral employee Jeanette Macias said the enterprise sells items such as Teddy bears, bud vases with flowers and buckets of candy for students looking to purchase gifts on a tight budget.

“I am sure any girl would love to receive a little something on Valentine’s Day,” Macias said.

Fresno State Floral Laboratory is a full-service enterprise that offers services for educational experience in flower production. The floral lab consists of eight student employees and is directed by the technician manager Elisa Valdez.

According to Fresno State Floral Laboratory’s Web site, the enterprise’s first priority is to serve the university community by providing floral compositions for campus functions and the university’s employees and students. However, students do not receive perks from the campus floral lab which was established between 1970-1973.

“Unfortunately, there are no discounts available for students and faculty on campus,” Macias said. “We are a student run organization. We are not allowed to compete against local markets.”

Valentine’s Day is one of the floral labs largest profiting events of the year, outside of weddings and campus events.

“For Valentine’s Day we typically start pre-ordering in January,” Macias said. “We get at least 60 to 100 orders. We try to get pre-orders so we know how many roses to ship in.”

Fresno State Floral will also accept orders on Valentine’s Day. If they have the product in stock then they will make same day orders.

Some students will not take advantage of the service come Valentine’s Day.

Junior Nicholas Montano said that Valentines Day is a Hallmark made holiday and he wishes not to spend money on his significant other.

“I think I am just proving to her friends by the gifts and flowers I give her,” Montano said.

Fresno State Floral employee Sarah Wenter, said, Fresno State Floral’s main clientele are faculty members and staff, but they also have people in the community who support the enterprise.

Macias said, “We do everything from carnation wraps to mixed bouquets. We can even do two or three dozen rose bouquets.”

Due to popular demand and the lack of space in the lab, Fresno State Floral is unable to grow its own flowers.

Most of the flowers are grown locally and are obtained through wholesalers and brokers, according to the Fresno State Floral Web site. Some roses are imported from Ecuador.

“I think sometimes people tend to forget that Valentine’s Day is not only about sharing it with a significant other, but it is about showing your friends and family that you love them and care about them,” Macias said.

Fresno State Floral is located at the northeast corner of Barstow and Chestnut.