Sharing college experiences

The California State University system is utilizing the growing popularity of blogging to allow people to share their stories and experiences.

The 23 CSU campuses have invited all students, faculty, alumni, employees and friends to become bloggers on a Web site called “First Generation,” geared at allowing first-generation success stories to reach a larger audience.

“If you are one of our many faculty and staff who are first generation college graduates,” Fresno State President John Welty said, “I invite you to contribute to the First Generation Stories Project — a project designed to provide inspiration and role models for our first generation students.”

Welty also noted that 35 percent of Fresno State students are the first in their family to attend college, while 15 percent have parents who started college but dropped out.

Welty, who is also a first generation college student, hopes that the blog will provide role models for many other aspiring college graduates.

“The purpose of the First Generation Stories project is to make first generation faculty and staff visible and to let them know that many of their professors, counselors and others have faced obstacles and challenges similar to the ones they are experiencing,” Welty added. “I am a first generation college graduate and intend to submit my story. I invite you to join me.”

Project organizers will collect various stories and use them for student support programs, classrooms and other venues. Also, all authors will retain final approval for their story before it is added to the collection.