Ribera opens the season big

Matt Weir / The Collegian
Bulldogs look sharp in this seasons opening weekend

Heading into the bottom of the ninth inning in front of a nearly sold-out crowd at Pete Beiden Stadium Friday night, the Fresno State baseball team trailed the Nebraska Huskers. Coming through in the clutch, junior Jordan Ribera hit a walk-off home run to send the fans home happy.

The Bulldogs struggled to score runs for most of the game until they erupted with a four-run rally in the ninth inning, capped by Ribera’s two-run walk-off blast over the right field fence, giving the ‘Dogs a 7-5 win over Nebraska.

“It’s such a great feeling,” Ribera said. “I’ve been working so hard this offseason to put together a good 2010 season. So I’m hoping to take that from tonight and move forward.”

Ribera’s humility was apparent as he credited his teammates for tying the game before he even went to the plate.

“I was just fortunate enough to be in that position with Brennan [Gowens’] big hit,” Ribera said. “We don’t get there without our pitchers throwing how they threw tonight, and without the other eight guys in the lineup hitting how they hit.”

The Bulldogs were behind the entire game, and gave up a deflating, cushion run to Nebraska in the top of the ninth inning on a wild pitch that seemed to put the game out of reach.

Juniors Garrett Weber and Danny Muno led off the ninth inning with back-to-back walks. Weber and Muno then advanced into scoring position on a wild pitch with Gowens on deck.

Gowens came up clutch with a one out hard-hit double to left-center, scoring Weber and Muno. Ribera then approached the plate with his “all I need is a single” mentality, and gave the fans something to cheer about with a game-ending home run.

Then, less than 24 hours after Ribera’s ninth inning heroics in the opener, he helped carry the Bulldogs’ momentum into Saturday’s game with two home runs in his first two at-bats, leading the team to an 8-2 victory.

“We were down a run, and we wanted to answer back to keep ourselves in the game,” Ribera said. “I was just thankful I could help the team get off to a good start and we were able to keep that lead for the rest of the game.”
With Ribera’s homeruns and five combined hits from teammates, Trent Garrison and Bobby Coyle, there was plenty of run support for the pitching staff, which shook off the rust and gave up three less runs than the first game.

Once again, the Bulldogs’ offense exploded in the late innings, scoring three runs in the eighth to put the game away.

In the third game of the series, after a one-hour rain delay, the bulldogs re-kindled the magic from the season opener on Sunday afternoon as they battled back and forth all game before winning in the bottom of the 11th inning.

With two outs in the top of 11th inning, Fresno State’s Greg Gonzalez threw a wild pitch, allowing the go-ahead run for Nebraska to cross the plate.

The Bulldogs’ offense didn’t give up once. The team responded with a run of its own, to tie the game at 9-9 after a Muno walk and a run-scoring double by Brennan Gowens.

Later that inning, shortstop Isacc Vivas came to the plate with two outs and the bases loaded, there was a pass ball allowing Gowensto race home to score the game-winning run.

Fresno State is 3-0 to start the season for the first time in 15 years. The ‘Dogs will finish up the four game series at home Monday night at 6:05 p.m.