Rain, rain, go away

Joy Hallare / The Collegian

With the weather clearing up, the Aquatics Center prepares for construction

Within weeks, groundwork will be underway on a multimillion dollar swimming and diving facility at Fresno State.

The $7.5 million project is expected to be complete by the 2010-11 semesters and just in time for the swimming and diving season this September.

Funding for the project is provided by California State University capital renewal funds, and the CSU’s self-insurance program, CSU Risk Management Authority.

The center’s main attraction will be the multi-use pool that will be capable of configuring up to eight lanes for long-course swimming. In addition, when the pool’s bulkhead is maneuvered, it allows the arrangement of 19 lanes for short-course swimming.

There will be two additional pools, one of which will be a “warm pool,” for divers to stay warm between dives, and the other that will be available for use by students of the kinesiology department.

With Fresno State’s aquatic-related classes attracting enrollment of more than 200 students this semester, the department anticipates the impressive facility to be an immense asset to the campus.

As for the diving amenities, 1- and 3-meter springboards will be included along with a tower consisting of 5.75- and 10-meter platforms.

Team locker facilities for the Bulldogs and visiting teams will be incorporated in the masterpiece, as well as a large seating area that will hold up to 800 spectators.

With rain forecasted to come to an end, construction on the development is in progress. The swimming and diving team will continue to hold their practices at Clovis North High School in their quest to succeed at the Western Athletic Conference Championship Feb. 24-27 in San Antonio.