Guys: Don’t expect to get laid

The other day I overheard a conversation between two guys. One guy was telling the other guy about how he was going to surprise his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day with roses and an elegant dinner. I thought to myself, wow, that is one brave dude for sharing his romantic ventures with his friend.

Then I heard the last part. He said how he really hoped to get laid on Valentine’s Day because of all the “work” he was going to put into the day. Really? Do guys plan romantic gestures on Valentine’s Day because they think they’re going to get laid? That is a terrible standard for us to set. We should aim higher not just on Valentine’s Day, but the other days of the year too.

Let’s be honest. Generally, we guys have a low standard when it comes to being romantic to our significant other. Saying “you look beautiful” or “you smell nice today” does not count as being romantic.

What is romantic is writing her a poem, getting her flowers or perhaps helping her with her errands, anything that takes more commitment and more thought out of us. I can already hear the excuses about being too busy with work and school, but that should not be a factor at all. If guys have time to hang out with their buddies and watch the Super Bowl, then why not take a minute or two to do something special for their girlfriends?

OK, so you guys might say, “Well, that is why Valentine’s Day was created, so we could make our girlfriends feel ‘special for a whole day.”

That is total nonsense. Valentine’s Day should not be a day that guys “feel obligated” to show affection towards their significant other. Every day of the year is a great opportunity to step up and give our “A” game. Why not start on Mondays with a love letter nicely placed on the windshield of her car? On Wednesday, show up with a rose in hand at her doorstep, then finish the week off on Fridays with dinner at her favorite restaurant. Feel free to switch it up and be creative; there are many inexpensive ways to show your love toward your significant other.

I understand if this might sound too cliché and not manly enough for guys to attempt. I do not blame them. Society has set a low standard for guys in the way they approach women. What is even worse is that society has convinced women that it is OK to lower their standards as well. It’s time to change that!

Ladies, raise your standards reasonably high, and not only on Valentine’s Day. Every day you should expect some kind of romantic response from your man, and if there is nothing at all, then you should be concerned. There are many guys that are in a relationship just for the sport of it. They are the ones that send you the mixed signals, show up in your life once in awhile and whisper sweets things to you, but their actions state otherwise. These are the guys that will try to take advantage of you on Valentine’s Day, like the guy I mentioned earlier.

So guys, don’t expect to get laid on Valentine’s Day just because you prepare a romantic dinner or give your girlfriend some roses. Valentine’s Day should be less about getting laid and more about doing something selfless for your significant other.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• AnonymousFeb 13, 2010 at 12:03 am

I wish ‘Steak and BJ Day’ (I’d spell out BJ if I wasn’t afraid of these prudes censoring me) was as commercialized as Valentines day. Then we’d hear things like ‘Now ladies, don’t just give your man steak and BJs in the hopes he will do something romantic for you, give him steaks and BJs all the time. You hang out with your girls and get manicures and pedicures, but you can’t take a minute or two and blow your man? Steak and BJ day should be less about getting something from your man and more about doing something selfless for your significant other.’ The double standard amazes me. Just face it, there are some things some men don’t like to do and some things some women don’t like to do, and there are sleezy ppl of both genders. Just find a person you can come to an understanding with and please each other and ignore all this commercialized BS.

joshua4234Feb 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I wish 'Steak and BJ Day' (I'd spell out BJ if I wasn't afraid of these prudes censoring me) was as commercialized as Valentines day. Then we'd hear things like 'Now ladies, don't just give your man steak and BJs in the hopes he will do something romantic for you, give him steaks and BJs all the time. You hang out with your girls and get manicures and pedicures, but you can't take a minute or two and blow your man? Steak and BJ day should be less about getting something from your man and more about doing something selfless for your significant other.' The double standard amazes me. Just face it, there are some things some men don't like to do and some things some women don't like to do, and there are sleezy ppl of both genders. Just find a person you can come to an understanding with and please each other and ignore all this commercialized BS.