Economy influences a ‘grown up’ Fashion Week

While most people are thinking about what to wear tomorrow, the fashion world is always one step ahead forecasting the top trends for fall 2010.

Last week’s New York Fashion Week featured top designers who set the tone for styles customers can expect to see splashed in fashion magazines when fall rolls back around.

More than 100 collections showed over an eight day period at the Fashion Week, an event sponsored by Mercedes Benz. The show featured collections from well-known designers like Michael Kors, Diane von Furstenberg and Ralph Lauren.

This year less over-the-top fashions and more modest styles graced the runways, focusing more on every-day elegance.

Mini-skirts were replaced with longer hemlines and trousers were more present than in years past.

Joanna Coles, editor-in-chief of Marie Claire magazine, said the styles were aimed for an older audience.

“Fashion is aimed at women not girls this season…It’s not aimed at necessarily an older woman, but one that is more ‘grown up,’” she said.

Designers seemed to focus more on wearable and sophisticated fashion than trying to concoct the next crazed trend.

Layering with knits and other fabrics was another prominent style. The key to putting together this trend is layering different fabrics to creature a new texture.

“We’re cocooning,” said fashion reporter for The Huffington Post, Judy Licht. “When everything outside is fairly frightening in terms of the economy, in terms of where you’re going to be working the next day, the first thing you reach for is something that makes you feel warm and enveloped and safe.”

In their fall and winter 2010 collections designers went back to the basics. In an uncertain economy consumers are more stringent on what they spend their money on and are more apt to purchase classic styles that can withstand time, according to research from Fashion Week and reported in a New York Times article.

Shoppers can also look forward to shine, fur and the boyfriend look in fall.

“There’s a general growing up of fashion after a very difficult year,” Coles said. “Women don’t want dressing up to be so complicated.”