graduation 2024

Bulldogs mark high expectations

Matt Weir / The Collegian
With strong returners and fresh newcomers, the ‘Dogs are prepared to win

After winning four straight Western Athletic Conference (WAC) championships and capturing the National Championship in 2008, expectations for the Fresno State baseball team could not be any higher for players.

“We’ve got our goals set really high,” Ribera said. “We need to win the WAC tournament and then we go from there.”

The ‘Dogs ended their 2009 season a goal short of where they’re hoping to reach this year — a trip back to Omaha, Neb. for the College World Series.

“We didn’t get to where we wanted last year,” junior infielder Jordan Ribera said.

“We take it one regional at a time and then we go super regional. Obviously, we want to get back to Omaha.”

With a strong corps of returning players and a fresh group of newcomers, the ‘Dogs expect to field a championship-caliber team in 2010.

“With the players we have this year, our team will be really good and solid,” Ribera said.

Returning for the diamond ‘Dogs will include two preseason All-Americans, junior Danny Muno, a Louisville Slugger first-team All-American second baseman, and sophomore outfielder Dusty Robinson, a third-team All-American selection by the National College Baseball Writers Association.

Muno, the team’s leadoff hitter and most consistent player, led the ‘Dogs with a .379 batting average during the 2009 season. He also had a team high 85 hits. Muno will look to continue his hot hitting ways into the 2010 season.

Robinson started 52 games and played in 60 during the ’09 season, while batting .319 with 15 home runs.

Robinson hopes to play a major role in the 2010 season. He said he wants to contribute to the team anyway he can, whether it’s on defense fielding baseballs or on offense helping his team get on base. “It’s not all about ‘I’, it’s about ‘We’ as a team,” Robinson said.

Another key returner will be senior outfielder Steve Detwiler. Detwiler is one of the five seniors on the team. The College World Series hero will look to add another championship
to what has already been a decorated career.

The key newcomers looking to contribute are freshman infielders Clay Cederquist and Kaohu Gaspar.

The pitching staff was kept intact after only losing senior closer Holden Sprague.

Returning for the ‘Dogs will be senior pitcher Matt Morse, 2009’s Friday-night starter, who started 11 games while appearing in 19.

Other key pitchers who are looking for time on the mound will be sophomores Derek Benny, Josh Poytress, and Cody Kendall — who have a combined 26 starts. All three are rookies, but experienced pitchers.

If the ‘Dogs can come together as a team and get off to a fast start, look for these ‘Dogs to meet their expectations.

“We need to start out good,” Ribera said. “If we start out good, I think we can get into a groove and start rolling from there.”