‘Dogs rein supreme

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian
Bulldogs remain Best in the West four years straight

The Fresno State equestrian team hosted the Fourth Annual Best in the West Tournament this past weekend at the Student Horse Center and showed why it was the “best in the west.”

The tenth-ranked ‘Dogs defeated No. 7 Texas Christian University (TCU) and went on to gain a victory against the University of Tennessee-Martin (UTM) on Saturday. The ‘Dogs defeated TCU with a total score of 8-3 and UTM 8-4.

“I am very pleased with the cumulative results,” equestrian coach Dr. Becky Malmo said. “But I am also very pleased with all the efforts of the team.”

The four-event tournament consisted of: horsemanship, reining, equitation on the flat and equitation over fences.

The ‘Dogs dominated against TCU on equitation over fences, as all three riders won their match, earning three points for the team. Senior captain Lisa Wells scored an 82 in the event as well as MVP honors.

The team went on to gain four more points, as it won the events in reining and equitation on the flat over TCU.

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Sophomore Sammi Jo Stone was the only rider to earn points for the ‘Dogs in horsemanship against the TCU Horned Frogs.

Against UTM, sophomore Kimmie Steinbuch had a performance to remember as she scored a tournament-record 95 on equitation on the flat. Steinbuch was five points away from a perfect score.

“She’s one of those unique individuals where you have all of the combinations that you need for great success in the equestrian world,” Malmo said of Stenbuch.

Steinbuch won two MVP awards on Saturday.

The ‘Dogs continued their dominance in reining as senior captain Keri Blackledge led the way to a perfect showing against UTM. All three riders won their meet scoring a 68 or better.

Stone performed well once again in horsemanship as she and senior Madison Silver earned two points for the ‘Dogs.

In equitation over fences, Wells was the only rider to earn a point against the Skyhawks.

Silver and Blackledge also earned MVP honors on Saturday.

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

The ‘Dogs dominated performances on Sunday, as well as when they took home all the MVP honors against Sacred Heart University.

“We won the MVP in all four events,” Malmo said. “Our individual riders have done extremely well.”

The ‘Dogs finished the tournament going 3-0 against its opposition and proved that it was the best in the west.

View video coverage of this event.