‘Dogs defeat nationally ranked teams

Bryan Cole / Collegian File Photo
Men’s Golf team places 3rd in the Ping Arizona Intercollegiate

While playing in the toughest tournament field of the season, the Fresno State men’s golf team finished third Tuesday in the 2010 Ping Arizona Intercollegiate Tournament with a three-day total of 14-under par.

The Bulldogs took on major challenges facing several high caliber teams, including defending National Collegiate Athletic Association champion Texas A&M, along with No. 3 Florida, No. 15 UNLV, and three other ranked teams.

Sophomore Bhavik Patel posted six birdies, three of which were in the final four holes. Patel tied for second place at 10-under par, three strokes behind University of Arizona’s Rich Saferian.

Junior Bryan Hogan completed the tournament with a 2-under Par score of 69, making 11 birdies in his final two rounds. Followed by teammate Grand Doverspike, finishing at 2-under par, landing a tie in 20th place.

Head coach Mike Watney said the team had a lot of unfortunate things happen early on, but fought through each obstacle, according to gobulldogs.com.

Watney said he is satisfied with the way his team finished, and is happy about the strong start.

The Bulldogs are anxious about the remaining season, but have not overlooked what it takes to get to the NCAA tournament. Last year, the ‘Dogs had to win the WAC tournament in order to secure a spot in the final tournament.

This year they would like to earn that spot early by playing well right away. While making it to the championship tournament is the ultimate goal for Fresno State men’s golf team, they’re focusing on one tournament at a time.

The Bulldogs will head next to the University of San Diego Invitational on Feb. 8-9.