Welty, no further cuts

University officials agree reduction on schedule

President John D. Welty stressed no further cuts this semester, but reiterated that the university will continue to be reduced by 9.5 percent.

“Simply put, Fresno State must shrink back to the size it was in the fall of 2000,” Welty said.

He also said that the furloughs would not continue passed the planned June cutoff.

Welty addressed a crowd in the Satellite student Union on Tuesday during the annual spring staff and faculty assembly.

The 9.5 reduction across the California State University (CSU) system came down from the Office of the Chancellor last summer.

The fall of 2009 semester saw an enrollment reduction of about 1,000, Welty said. While another 2,000 will be trimmed for the fall of 2010.

“Reducing the size of the university is a reality we must face,” Welty said.

Paul Oliaro, the vice president of student affairs, said that when the state legislature reduced the California State University (CSU) system by $584 million, it translated to 9.5 percent fewer students.

“Our admissions plan for fall 2009 was the same for fall 2008,” Oliaro said. “It was a no-growth target.”

The reduction manifested in the university not accepting applications for spring 2009, a shorter period for freshmen and transfers to apply for fall 2010 and no plan to open enrollment for spring 2011.

Bernie Vinovrski, the vice president of enrollment services, said the plan to reduce the student body by 9.5 percent is on schedule.

Welty also took time to remind the staff and faculty of the positive things that happened last semester.

He said that the Henry Madden Library is about to welcome its one millionth patron and in April the university received the largest gift in its history, as well as a plethora of awards.

Welty said that he was encouraged by the opportunity to have a public policy debate on higher education in California.

The public policy debate he referred to comes out of Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s proposition to restore $305 million to the CSU 2010-11 budget.

Welty said that state support for students has plummeted in the past decade. State funds per student have fallen from about $11,000 per student to $4,732.

He asked the staff and faculty to reach out to the community for support of higher education.

“We all must be ambassadors for the CSU,” Welty said.