One-finger salute

Thumbs up
Massachusetts’s voters
On Tuesday, Republican Scott Brown (an ex-nude model, mind you) won the seat of the late Sen. Ted Kennedy (Google Chappaquiddick) in the biggest political upset in recent memory. The issue Brown campaigned on? The right to be the 41st vote against the health care reform bill in the Senate! That’s right, baby! Git ‘er done!

Thumbs down
John Edwards
John Edwards finally admitted that the “National Enquirer” story about him fathering a baby with Rielle Hunter was true. His wife, Elizabeth Edwards, has an incurable form of cancer. Just another sad, sad episode in the lives of most politicians.

Thumbs up
Free Speech!
The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision divided along partisan lines (the 4 conservatives for, the 4 liberals against, with independent-minded Anthony Kennedy voting with the majority), struck down much of the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill that prevented companies from explicitly supporting a political candidate as unconstitutional. Long live the First Amendment!

Thumbs down
NBC’s treatment of Conan O’Brien
Tonight is the final time the redheaded comedian will host The Tonight Show. NBC should be ashamed of themselves. The one good thing that’s come out of this is that Conan has gotten to absolutely rip NBC a new one since this fiasco has gone down. Bittersweet revenge, but still.

Thumbs up
Jack’s Back!
“24,” the most fast-paced hour on television, is back! After the four-hour, two-night season premiere, the drama is back on its normal night, Mondays. You better be watching. Or else Mr. Bauer may be paying you a visit!

Thumbs up
Avatar blues
Some movie-hounds have gotten depressed after watching James Cameron’s epic. They want his fictitious alien land Pandora to be real. There is no need to fret, Avatar fans! Just listen to Al Gore and we might create our own Pandora just yet!

$100
$500

$100
$500

joshua4234Jan 29, 2010 at 12:44 am

psht comments having to be approved by a moderator. So much for thumbs-up'ing freedom of speech … the hypocrisy amuses me.

joshua4234Jan 28, 2010 at 4:44 pm

artsy1Jan 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I agree with “super_annoyed.” The fact that corporations can now legally buy the elections and our politicians is NOT something to give thumbs up to. FAIL.

artsy1Jan 27, 2010 at 10:15 am

super_annoyedJan 26, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Really? You think that rich corporations being able to pour as much money as they can into a person's campaign that it promotes free speech? It only makes it so that politicians become bigger puppets to corporate america interest that they forget about tax paying citizens. I love how this whole poll is so right wing; I look forward to reading your folks news stories this semester paid for by my student fees (not.)