Celebrating women athletes

Matt Weir / The Collegian

Since 1987, women across America have been proving that there is room for them on the athletic field, and the Bulldogs showed their support by hosting a clinic for girls by presenting past women athletes with varsity letters.

A clinic of 75 girls spent two hours Saturday getting to know different players from current women’s athletic teams.Stations were set up and geared toward specific sports, including: softball, volleyball, lacrosse, golf and soccer.

Players and coaches from their respective teams came out to get involved and show their support for the future of women’s sports.

Varsity women’s volleyball coach Lauren Sewell came out with her team and hosted the volleyball station.

“I find that there are teaching moments all the time, so with my players, any time they can get better at that, I take the opportunity,” Sewell said.

Sewell also said that she finds it important for her athletes to be a part of community events.

“It is a good time for them to learn to be teachers themselves, and they love getting involved with the young kids,” she said.

On the other half of the gym several softball players as well as head coach Margie Wright taught girls how to pitch, catch, hit and field softballs.

Sophomore pitcher Michelle Moses, who was conducting batting practice, said she took a number of things away from the experience, but most of all she enjoyed influencing and helping the younger generation to become the future for women’s sports.

Teammate Haley Gilleland had a personal connection with the special day, because she grew up around Fresno athletics.

“Being a local kid, and seeing Amanda Scott play and having her sign my balls made me look forward to one day being in those shoes, and that day has come,” Gilleland said.

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

After the clinic, the girls were given T-shirts and memorabilia to get autographs from the athletes they spent the day with.

To finish the night, former women’s athletes from the 1960s gathered at the Save Mart Center to reflect on past accomplishments and watch the players they paved a way for take on Louisiana Tech.

Head women’s basketball coach Adrian Wiggins made an appearance to show his appreciation and support for the past women players.

“Thank you for laying the groundwork,” Higgins said as he addressed the crowd. “Thank you for the sweat. Thank you for practicing and getting better and just starting a road that has just led to an awesome time for sports in women’s athletics.”

During the halftime, each of the past players was presented with a varsity letter from current women athletes of Fresno State.

The celebration for women’s athlete’s dates back to the work of Olympic volleyball player, Flo Hyman in 1986. National Girls and Women in Sports Day has embarked on a journey to remember those in the past and support those in the future that are paving a way for women in sports.