Bulldog Game Day

Brianna Campbell / The Collegian
Fresno State Bulldogs vs. Nevada Wolfpack

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Bulldogs are going to have to try and rebound from a devastating 26 point loss to the Aggies of Utah State.

With the loss of starting forward Paul George to an ankle injury, Fresno State now turns their attention to a must-win game against the Nevada Wolfpack.

The battle will take place Saturday as they continue WAC conference play at the Save Mart Center.

Fresno State now will look inside to freshman center Greg Smith and senior forward Sylvester Seay to lead the team. At 10-10 on the season and 3-3 in the WAC the ‘Dogs need a win to avoid losing four games in a row. With the loss of George to an injured ankle the ‘Dogs will need to come out with energy and intensity to avoid falling below .500 for the season.

Breakdown: Wolfpack

Nevada, who was picked to finish second in the WAC, is led by sophomore forward Luke Babbit who averages 21 points per game and pulls down 9.9 rebounds per game.

Nevada also has three other players whose scoring average is in double digits. The last two games that these schools played against each other have been decided by five points or less, with Fresno State winning the last meeting 68-66 in Fresno last March.

Nevada is 1-6 on the road this year and will look to rebound against Fresno State. With a win, the Wolfpack will keep their chances alive at competing for a WAC title instead of falling into the middle of the pack.

With Nevada hosting the WAC tournament this year, they hope a high seed will make it easier for them to get back to the NCAA tournament.

Matt Weir / The Collegian
Women’s Basketball
Fresno State Bulldogs vs. Louisiana Tech

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Fresno State women’s basketball team looks to continue its quest for a third straight Western Athletic Conference Championship as they host the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Saturday.

Fresno State is led by junior guard Jaleesa Ross , who averages 17 points per game. The guard is currently in 11th place on Fresno State’s all-time scoring list with 1,177 points. The Bulldogs defense, which allows 54 points per game, is the best in the WAC and will be key as they go up against the best scoring team in the WAC. Fresno State leads the conference in field goal percentage, shooting just under 48 percent as a team and average about 16 assists per game as a team, which is also a conference best. Fresno State has also hit a 3-point shot in 82 straight games as a team.

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Bulldogs of Louisiana Tech look to regain the top spot in the WAC as they travel to Fresno to play the Bulldogs of Fresno State.

Before Fresno State began its run of two straight conference titles, Louisiana Tech owned the WAC, winning four WAC championships in five years. Since then, the Lady Techsters have gone through a rebuilding phase. With former WNBA star Teresa Weatherspoon as head coach, LA Tech hopes that this year will be the year they get back to the top of the WAC. They are led by two pre-season All-WAC first team selections: senior forward Shavania Dowdell, who is averaging 19 points per game, and Adrienne Johnson, who is averaging 16.7 points per game. Louisiana Tech is the top scoring team in the WAC, averaging 78 points a game and is the best 3-point shooting team.