The Mission Christmas Project

Christmas season has quickly approached. Colorful decorations, Christmas trees and lights have appeared around Fresno. But in a community where the highest concentration of poverty in the nation, according to a report from the Brookings Institution and Federal Reserve System in 2005, some shoppers may be in need of relief from the gift-giving expenses.

This Christmas season, the Neighborhood Thrift Store, located on East Olive Avenue, caters to low-income families with their “Mission Christmas” project. The Neighborhood Thrift Store, a non-profit organization, is able to offer this program because of donations from local individuals and businesses, along with the support of local volunteers.

“Our program is directed toward community members who need to provide gifts to their family, without a lot of money to spend,” said Bryan Feil, store manager.

The “Mission Christmas” project hatched through the stores partnership with The Well Community Church.

Missions director Andrew Feil, said during the past seven years, “The Well” as it is often referred to by community members, has partnered with Susan B. Anthony Elementary school to adopt low-income families each Christmas.

“We realized we could do things different and better.” Feil said he realized that despite the good intentions, the giving actually caused the adopted families to feel patronized. “We weren’t empowering them but making them charity,” Andrew Feil said.

After a little research, Andrew Feil discovered about six other thrift stores across the nation that had adopted similar practices.

“Mission Christmas” gift shop kicked off Tuesday evening with more than thirty customers, and it will run until Christmas Day.