Student Q&A with Angie Abraham

For some college students, deciding on a major can be a difficult task, but for sophomore Angie Abraham it came to her in a dream.

Abraham came to California State University, Fresno to study physical therapy, but in her first semester her life changed. Abraham’s mother became ill and then passed away.

One night she had a dream about talking to her mother. Abraham wanted to make sure that her mother would be proud of her if she was to become a physical therapist. In the dream, Abraham’s mother said she wanted Abraham to change her major to nursing. Abraham now takes classes to become a nurse. Her mother was a registered nurse for 20 years.

The hard schedule of nursing doesn’t stop Abraham from having a social life. This semester, she rushed and joined Kappa Alpha Theta. Abraham wanted to have a close group of friends that she could depend on. She hopes to move into the house next fall.

Q: What did you want to be when you were younger?
A: I wanted to be a pediatrician. My dad told me that I would be a pediatrician. I thought it would be fun to be a doctor. When you watch TV shows you think it is so easy and fun.

Q: If you had superpowers, what would they be?
A: I would have the power to heal illness in other people.

Q: What is your biggest pet peeve?
A: Nosey people. When someone is just in your business asking you what are you doing all of the time, where are you going, who are you talking about. I like my personal space, so when someone is really nosey it just gets on my nerves.

Q: What would people find surprising about you?
A: In high school I was the vice president of the Black Student Union and I’m not black. I took a lot of leadership. The president appointed me. When I tell people they just kind of laugh.

Q: Who is the most influential person in your life?
A: My mom. She set a standard for me in academics and interpersonal skills. I strive to be my mom. She was successful as an R.N. for twenty years. She came to America not knowing a word of English and yet she did well. She was a good mom.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?
A: I study a lot because the prerequisites for nursing are really demanding. I like to watch videos on YouTube or CollegeHumor.com. I like to look at funny videos.

Q: What are you passionate about?
A: Helping others. I know that sounds really cliché. If I feel close to you and I feel you are deserving of it, I will give you the shirt off my back. If I know you and I see you have good intentions and you’re a good person but you’re struggling, I will try to give you as much as I can of myself.