Parking permits available for purchase online

For the first time, students at California State University, Fresno will be able to purchase parking permits online.

Public information officer Amy Armstrong said the university began selling the spring semester parking permits online on Nov. 13 and has already had some interest in the online purchase option.

“We’re trying to provide alternatives so [students] don’t have to wait in those long lines at the beginning of the semester,” Armstrong said.

The new option came as a response to requests from students, Armstrong said, and took the collaboration of the University Police Department, the accounting department and PeopleSoft to make it happen.

Similar to making an online tuition payment, students will use the My Fresno State portal to order and pay for the parking permits, Armstrong explained. Once a permit is ordered, it will be mailed out to students within five to seven business days. Students need to be aware that the permits will only be sent to the address listed on file in their PeopleSoft account, Armstrong added.

“We really want to get the word out before the semester starts so it gives students enough time to purchase and get the pass,” Armstrong said.

Senior Reeza Ednave said the online option would save her from the hassle of long lines at the beginning of the semester, but was wary of additional fees to cover mailing costs.

“I wouldn’t want to pay extra, but if it’s free shipping I’d definitely do it,” she said.

According to Armstrong there are no extra fees for purchasing a permit online versus purchasing one on campus. The cost for a parking permit remains $68 per semester.

Armstrong said the university anticipates that not all students will take advantage of the online method, so parking permits will still be sold on campus at the Cashier’s Window in Joyal Administration and at the police satellite office in the University Student Union.

“We’re trying to provide an additional service and a convenience, and so we do want [students] to take advantage of this,” Armstrong said. “We’re just trying to meet the needs of the students.”

University Police has already sent out two campus-wide e-mails providing information about the newest purchase option. Parking is enforced on the first day of instruction, Armstrong said, so it’s important for students to account for the mailing time if they plan to order the parking permit online.

Senior civil engineering major Leopoldo Espino learned about the online purchase option from the e-mail notification and welcomes the thought of avoiding the inevitable lines.

“If I could go directly on there and pay with my credit card, I’d rather just pay it and have them ship it to me. It’d be a lot easier than having to wait in line,” Espino said.