No blame on ‘the book’

I keep reading articles about how Facebook is bad.

Really, it’s only bad if you can’t control yourself. One of the biggest problems people have is addiction People can’t stop checking for updates, posting pictures, adding friends and generally being on Facebook.

That isn’t a problem with Facebook, it’s a problem with YOU. Are you going to say that being an alcoholic is alcohol’s fault? If you are, then you have bigger issues to worry about.

The problem is the one using the item in question. If you are addicted to Facebook and you think it’s a problem, then the problem is your own self-control.

There is no one on Facebook that is forcing you to update your status. No one is putting a gun to your head and telling you to add them as a friend. Again, if that’s your situation, you have bigger issues to worry about. If you have a Facebook, you can log in and check for updates every five seconds, or every five years. It doesn’t matter.

Another thing people have a problem with is status updates. If you don’t like them, DON’T USE THEM. If you don’t want all your friends to know you’re going to Wisconsin, then don’t type it in the little box. If you don’t want anyone to know that you’re home, then don’t tell them. Is that so hard?

Again, there is nothing forcing you to tell everyone what you’re doing. I hardly ever use updates to tell people what I’m doing. I type things like Matt Weir wears his sunglasses at night. There are no rules that limit what can be said in a status update box.

Many people complain that there is too much spam. There are too many posts that they don’t want to read, or posts that they have no interest in. Look, if you’re getting updates from someone that you don’t like, and you’re constantly complaining about all the crap they post, then you need to consider deleting that friend.

That’s the big issue I have with these complaints. There are filters and blockers and all sorts of ways to narrow down what you see on your homepage, so you really have no reason to complain. If you can’t figure out how to use it, you have other issues to worry about.

Don’t blame Facebook for these problems. If you can’t handle it, then fine. Delete your Facebook. That’s your choice. But in the end, it’s not Facebook’s fault. All this Web site is designed to do is help you communicate in a new way. When used responsibly, Facebook allows prolonged friendship, it reconnects you with old friends and allows you to express yourself in a way that others can choose to see or to not see. That’s it.