Mayer battles lyrics, and Aniston

."
Photo courtesy of www.JohnMayer.com

Grammy-winning guitar god John Mayer likes to shake up his creative direction and approach from time to time to keep things interesting and his music developing.

Strumming his acoustic guitar and singing soulful ballads of woe, John Mayer tiptoes softly into his latest album, “Battle Studies” in less than typical fashion, but with a strong musical selection to counter struggling lyrics.

“Battle Studies” may be an appropriate title, as the music alludes much more to a quiet study of the heart than the intensity of a battle.

Mayer’s passive, yet passionate approach might be better off titled “My Devastating Loss of the Girl (more specifically, Jennifer Aniston).” Every lyric drips with emotional heartache and a deep sense of loss.

Mayer exchanges the sexual wonderlands, sentimental ballads and world changing lyrics for more melancholy subjects. Perhaps while Mayer “waited on the world to change,” he tiredly gave up the fight to enlist in the ranks of heartbroken singer/songwriters wearing their hearts on their sleeves. It then seems appropriate that he joins Taylor Swift, queen of breakup songs, for a duet on the album.

Similarly themed titles like “Perfectly Lonely,” “All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye,” and “Heartbreak Warfare” falls into the category of breakup album. Where has the variety gone? The lyrics travel from loneliness to sorrow and then back again in a cycle of depression and lost love. The album should not be written off as a complete failure or, arguably, even a partial failure.

In typical Mayer fashion, he takes his ideas and couples them with the guitar. The cheeriness of his previous albums is missing here. And in its place are slow and deliberate melodies.

Mayer’s talent as a guitarist and vocalist shines through despite the darkness of the subject matter. In “Edge of Desire,” Mayer sings of wanting someone back as he fears she may forget about him. Yet, the lyrics become secondary to the patterns of notes and the rich vocal strains. Mayer effortlessly expresses himself with music, where his words seem meaningless or cliché.

Look to “Battle Studies” for a quiet and peaceful escape.

Mayer’s soothing vocals and melodious instrumentals will lull the listener into relaxation. On the other hand, avoid this album when building dance party playlists, preparing pep talks or feeling lonesome or depressed. Riding solely on the musical talent and ability of Mayer, the album’s soft eloquence makes up for the single-themed sorrowful lyrics.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• T

tonybuyDec 17, 2009 at 7:21 am

China manufacturer offer high qulaity cd paper sleeves @ 0.0061usd/pc. also offer cpp cd sleeve, cd paper envelop with flap and windowns.
    ————————————————————————————————————————————————–
    http://www.media-packs.com/cd-paper-sleeve-cd-e