Kremen gets donation from retiree’s estate

."
Fresno State News

A retired professor’s estate set up a trust of $875,000 in October to benefit California State University, Fresno faculty.

Maxima Dandoy willed the endowment to the Kremen School of Education & Human Development. The proceeds can be used as early as next October. They will go to funding the Dandoy Center, which supports faculty research, development, leadership and travel.

Dr. Paul Beare, the dean of the Kremen School of Education & Human Development, said that a committee would decide how the money would be used. He said that it is rare for the department to be able to use the money how they see fit.

“It’s unusual,” Beare said. “Most gifts that come in are usually tied to scholarships or to a building.”

Dandoy, who died on Jan. 31, was a native of the Philippines. She received both her doctorate from Stanford University and her American citizenship in 1952. Dandoy began teaching at Fresno State in 1956, and retired in 1987.

Beare said that the interest from the endowment is very important to the Kremen School of Education & Human Development.

“It’s a great benefit,” Beare said. “Especially in these tough times.”

Robert Monke, a retired professor, was a colleague and friend of Dandoy. He used to chaperone her to school events after she retired.

“Maxima was very involved in the school of education, and I think that education was her life,” Monke said.

Monke said that Dandoy was a very good professor who demanded much from her colleagues and students and they respected her for it. She had an interest in teacher preparation, according to Monke.

“Fresno State was good to her, and that’s why she was good to them,” he said about the gift.