Hostess with the mostest

When Tatevik Ekezian began hosting “Hye Oozh,” on California State University, Fresno’s 90.7 KFSR radio station eight years ago, she was no stranger to the program. She’d tuned in Saturday mornings ever since she was 11, and was even pushed by her grandmother to get involved with the 18-year-old radio show dedicated to Armenian music, that played everything from traditional to Armenian rap tunes.

Once a student at the university, she spoke on air for her first time thanks to a friend and “Hye Oozh” disc jockey. “I got a lot of positive feedback,” Ekezian said of her first experience on the airwaves. “They just asked if I could join and I didn’t even hesitate.”

“I didn’t realize it was every Saturday morning,” laughed Ekezian, who was born in Armenia.

That decision, she said, led her to experiences she had never considered before. “This showed me something new about myself,” Ekezian said. “I realized how much I liked radio and how good I can be at it.”

Ekezian graduated from Fresno State in 2004 with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology and a minor in Armenian studies. A year later she spent her Thanksgiving hosting the Armenia Fund Telethon, which raises money for Armenia, and has done so every year since.

She hosts a weekly television show entitled “M/Club Top 10 Armenian Music Videos” based in Los Angeles, playing the most requested Armenian music videos. Ekezian has even contributed a radio station, YeRk FM, to the iPhone application M/Club Radio. This month she will host the M/Club Music Video Awards at the Nokia Theatre for her first time.

Ekezian may be heavily involved with Armenian music, but the main staples on her iPod, she said, are her idols Frank Sinatra and Celine Dion.

“I love music and I could just listen to it in my car and love it just the same,” Ekezian said. “But to actually go out and do something about it was different””it was something I was doing for the Armenian people and the Armenian community.”

Q: Is music something you always loved?

A: Definitely, I’m very musically inclined. I’ve always loved the piano. At some point I took some guitar as well. I’ve always been a real fan of music, I like all types.

Q: What is it about Armenian music that you love?

A: For us, it’s more of a patriotic move. It’s more than just a love of music.

Q: If you were trapped on a desert island, which three artists’ music would you bring with you?

A: It would be Frank Sinatra. It would be Celine Dion. One more…it would probably be, oh and I love Julio Iglesias. Throw that guy in there too. And none of them are Armenian, that’s hysterical.

Q: Did you host any other radio programs before KFSR?

A: No. Absolutely not, that was my first and it was a complete fluke. It was an undeveloped talent that just developed itself. My dad was an actor back in the day and he has that creative streak in him. When it’s in the genes, it’s in the genes.

Q: How important is it to have an outlet like “Hye Oozh” to play Armenian music in Fresno and for listeners all over the world?

A: It’s about keeping the community together, promoting our artists, our stars, keeping their music going and introducing people to their music. It’s a way to bring the people together in some sort of an indirect way. Everybody knows about the show. It’s 18 years now. More and more people learn about it all the time.

Q: In the eight years you’ve been hosting, what are your favorite memories?

A: I have a lot of funny moments with my old co-hosts Sevag and Armen. We have a lot of funny stuff””flips of the tongue, incorrect Armenian that really meant something kind of more perverted. Regardless of the mistakes people would be like, “hey, your Armenian isn’t the best, but, damn it, good job.”

Q: Do you have any crazy stories?

A: There was a game of backgammon. The guys were playing backgammon in the studio, I brought some food and we were eating, playing backgammon and hosting a radio show…I don’t know who does that, but we did it.

Q: What is the most surprising aspect of being a DJ?

A: It’s just hard work. People think you just sit and press a bunch of buttons but it’s not like that at all. You have to be collected, prepared and ready. You can’t just talk. The thing about being an Armenian DJ, in particular, you can’t use everyday language. You have to use formal Armenian, which is a big challenge. It’s almost like a whole other language.

Q: Do you plan your playlists or play what you’re feeling at the moment?

A:
It’s more of the moment, I might know ahead of time what I might want to play that day but I flourish with improv.

Q: Do you ever sing/dance along in the studio?

A: You can’t help but dance. When I used to DJ by myself, I would create a disco atmosphere for myself. I would turn the lights off, have just one on, it was like a red one too. I would have my CDs spread out all over the table and I’d have my headphones on, just bobbing my head to the music. Just this dark, cool atmosphere while it’s a bright Saturday morning.

Q: What do you try to accomplish with your show?

A: The goal is to keep people connected. Make it enjoyable for the people. Keep people Armenian.

Q: Can you tell me about the M/Club Music Video Awards?

A: The M/Club Music Video Awards are teaming up with the Armenian Music Awards. They used to be two shows and now it’s turning into one. There’s going to be two awards on one stage. There’s going to be performances and lifetime achievement awards for big-time names.

Q: So it’s pretty well known then?

A: It is well known, it’s the 10th annual AMA awards and the third annual M/Club Video Music Awards. It’s the first time they’ve teamed up together. It’s worldwide, definitely. It’s going to be televised on three different channels throughout the holidays.

Q: Are you nervous?

A: Yes…very. There is a lot of pressure. My main concern is that it goes well. I want a lot of people to be there that night. For me, whether it’s a telethon or a radio show or a live show, I get to interact with people. For me, that’s what makes me happy. I love people.

Q: So you host a weekly show in Fresno, you’re hosting a huge award show, you’ve hosted the Armenian Fund Telethon — why give so much?

A: It’s just something I was brought up with. Giving sometimes also means receiving. The satisfaction that I feel knowing a little Armenian kid can sing a song in Armenian, for me, is getting back. Or somebody just found their favorite Armenian artist because of a song that I introduced. Just a part in any of it is cool.

Q: With all of your accomplishments, what are you the most proud of?

A: The fact that I actually speak Armenian. I’m grateful that I’m able to get to all of these places, do so much, and continue to stay Armenian and keep it alive.