High-scoring bowl matchup ends in defeat for ‘Dogs

The Fresno State Bulldogs fell to the Wyoming Cowboys 35-28 in a heartbreaking double overtime loss Saturday in the New Mexico Bowl.

Coming off of a two-game winning streak, the 8-4 Bulldogs were edged out by an unyielding Wyoming team, who scored on the first possession of the second overtime. This is the teams second bowl game appearance this decade.

Led by true freshman quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels, the Cowboys delivered the crushing blow to the ‘Dogs in the second overtime with a 13-yard pass to wide receiver David Leonard down the left side of the field for the decisive score.

Heading into the fourth quarter, the Cowboys trailed by 11 points but managed to rally past the ‘Dogs late in the game following a costly fumble from the nation’s leading scorer Ryan Mathews.

Mathews scored two touchdowns and racked up 144-yards on 31 attempts. This is Matthews’ 11th 100-yard game of the season, tying a WAC record.

Late game heroics, however, are nothing new for the 6-6 Cowboys who have four fourth-quarter come behind victories this season. The Cowboys managed to hold Mathews on three rushing attempts from the 1-yard-line in the first overtime.

After the Cowboys stopped Mathews in the first overtime, Wyoming fans stormed the field for what they thought was a victory. Kicker Ian Watts could have put the ‘Dogs away, but missed a 40-yard field goal to send the game into a second overtime.

The ‘Dogs were playing in their second straight New Mexico Bowl game. This was the 10th bowl that head coach Pat Hill has led his team to in the last 11 years.