Fresno State may give priority acceptance to ‘desired’ students

Some students from outside California State University, Fresno’s feeder schools could be passed over to make room for desired students.

Fresno State has received 14,700 applications from first-time freshman for next fall. The goal is to enroll 2,400.

All local students that meet the minimum requirements will be admitted. However, students from outside areas will have to jockey for the remaining spots. This is where desired students will have the upper hand.

Students that meet the minimum requirement and fit a desired position may be given an admission spot over another student from outside the area with a higher academic index score. Each college or program can request the admission of such a student.

Desired students include those that participate in athletics, music, ROTC, the Educational Opportunity Program and the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP). Some majors, such as agriculture or engineering, are special and fall under this distinction also.

Bernie Vinovrski, the associate vice president for enrollment services, said that he gets the final word on who gets admitted, and he will do so on a case-by-case basis.

“There’s no absolute commitment to one area or another, but we will consider those particular applications,” Vinovrski said.

He said that the university’s goal of 2,400 first-time freshmen could include a maximum of 15 percent that meet the school’s special needs. Vinovrski said it is still too early to know exactly how it will all shake out.

“Will we have to do that?” Vinovrski said. “It’s premature. I don’t know that.”

Historically, these groups would pursue any students who were admissible, but now they have to consider where the student lives. Vinovrski said that it is unfortunate.

“We value diversity, ethnicity [and] we also value geographic diversity,” he said.

Vinovrski said that this policy is fair and that it protects the unique programs for each California State University (CSU) campus.

For the Lyles College of Engineering, special consideration helps to open the pool to fill the target number of students, because the profession is seen as a critical and important one, according to dean Michael Jenkins, Ph.D.

Dr. Vida Samiian, the dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, said that the music program has special needs, and this practice will allow for balance in an entity like the orchestra. She said that it is important to admit students who have a specialized skill, because it is rare.

“It is important to admit them, because it brings up the level and quality of those majors,” Samiian said.