$1.4 million grant will create diversity

With a new $1.4 million grant given to the area of geosciences, the hope is to create more diversity in the geosciences program.

The main demographic for those employed or going into a graduate program in geosciences are white males, according to the director of Geosciences METRO Center Dr. Alam Hasson.

Geosciences can be described as anything that relates to the sarth system, such as geology, earth science, ocean science, hydrology, air quality and pollution and climate change.

The National Science Foundation awarded the grant to geosciences at Fresno State to create the Geosciences METRO Center. METRO stands for Mentoring Education Training Research Outreach.

“The approach we’re taking is multi-pronged, but it’s giving undergraduate students a quality research experience in our lab,” Hasson said.

The program targets students in their sophomore year.

Alam said they want to get students interested early on possibly even before they start at California State University, Fresno.

Hasson and those who are working with him are coordinating with Fresno City College and Reedley College to get students who are interested involved.

Students accepted into the program will have the opportunity to work with faculty on research projects throughout each semester and during the summer. Students will also attend conferences to present their work.

“We pay them to do research, and we pay them to go to conferences,” Hasson said.

“And probably pizza every once in a while,” added Peter Van De Water, earth and environmental sciences assistant professor.

For those interested contact Ronna Crews by phone at 278-6076 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Applications can be downloaded at www.csufresno.edu/geosciencesmetro. Those interested will need to fill out an application and a 15-minute interview with the director. Students selected will be placed early in the spring 2010 semester.