Study session at Welty’s house

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

While the Henry Madden Library remained closed to students on Saturday, President John D. Welty’s pool house served as a study hall from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

During the negotiation between California State University, Fresno students and Welty on Nov. 3, some students challenged Welty to provide them with a place to study in his home while the library is closed. He responded by offering up his address, 4411 N. Van Ness Blvd. 93704.

Because of the $44.6 million budget gap that Fresno State faces this year, the school’s library hours have been reduced. On Saturdays, the library is closed altogether.

As students arrived at 6 p.m., Welty’s home was no more open than the library but students were allowed in the pool house. Throughout the hour and a half, 13 students studied at folding tables surrounded by boxed Christmas decorations and wicker furniture.

The home where Welty resides was donated in 1965 for use by the university’s president.

Welty had a prior engagement and did not join the students, said vice president of student affairs Paul M. Oliaro, Ph.D. However, Oliaro did not know where Welty was specifically. A police officer and administrators, including Oliaro and dean of student affairs Carolyn Coon, Ph.D., were present.

In an e-mail interview with The Collegian, Welty said he and his wife, Sharon, were busy attending the Fresno State Air Force ROTC Regional Conclave Banquet. Welty said the event was scheduled long before the study-in.

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Senior social work major Anthony Rispoli said that his first concern was finding a place to study on the weekends. He said Starbucks is an option, but that it is loud on weekends. Rispoli said that he did not show up solely to study, but also to make a statement.

“Well, it was also about the fact that he didn’t agree to any of the demands that the students came forward with,” he said. “The only thing that he agreed with was letting somebody come over and study, so I figured if there’s one thing the guy’s going to give us, I’m going to go ahead and take advantage of that.”

Rispoli said that he would go back next Saturday if Welty allowed it because he needs a place to study.

“I don’t believe it is neccessary for students to study at University House on a regular basis because there is ample study space on campus,” Welty said.

He said the University Student Union is open until midnight on Saturdays, and has study space on both the main floor and the Pavillion.

Senior liberal studies major Craig Schorling said that he has a quiet place to study at home, but that others don’t. So, he went to Welty’s home as a statement.

“I think this is a perfect way to show, not just Welty and the higher-ups at the state [level], but the student population that we’re trying to take some ownership of our school,” Schorling said.

Schorling said that he does not blame Welty for all of Fresno State’s problems. However, he said that change would only come from action and continuous effort.

“Even something as simple as this can spark another movement, or another event that will start giving students some ownership,” Schorling said.

Welty said that this ownership already exists.

“Sharon and I open University House almost every week to students, faculty, staff and community members,” Welty said.

He said that approximately 7,000 people visit the house each year, and many of the events held result in donations to the university, which in turn benefits the students.

Schorling said that while announcing this event in front of his classes, he received positive feedback. So, he was disappointed that there wasn’t a larger turnout of students.

“If they want to see change at [Fresno] State, they’re going to have to take a step in some direction to bring that change to them,” Schorling said. “It’s not going to be given to them.”

At 7:30 p.m. the administration and the police officer informed the students that “study hall” was over.

Oliaro told the students that he could not speak on behalf of Welty, so he would not address whether the house would be available next Saturday.

However, he did address library hours. Oliaro said the university is working on getting donations to allow the library to be open more often.

“We’re going to work on trying to get library hours open. We’ve been doing that the whole semester, to get open a little longer on weekends,” Oliaro said. “Particularly, as we get closer to the end of the semester.”

He said that the first meeting of study hall at Welty’s home was a success.

“Anytime students study anywhere, it’s a success,” Oliaro said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

PaulNov 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Attention racist poster… Don’t be mad that these students care about their education and show it through their actions. They will be successful in the future while you will still be unhappy, probably working in a fast food restaurant the rest of your life because you spent more time posting racist comments on websites than you spent caring about an education.

• P

PaulNov 11, 2009 at 7:30 am

• P

PaulNov 11, 2009 at 7:30 am

WTF!Nov 10, 2009 at 8:33 pm

WTF indeed! Where’s The Funding?!

WTF!Nov 11, 2009 at 4:33 am

WTF indeed! Where’s The Funding?!

WTF!Nov 11, 2009 at 4:33 am

WTF indeed! Where’s The Funding?!

WTFNov 10, 2009 at 8:21 pm

All I can say is that you people deserve to be #1 on the list of those individuals who get cut when the University’s funds run out. That’ll teach you to be anti-fee increase. Take your damn liberalism and entitlement and go somewhere else.

WTFNov 11, 2009 at 4:21 am

WTFNov 11, 2009 at 4:21 am

Anthony C.Nov 10, 2009 at 5:50 pm

These comments made me lol 😀

Anthony C.Nov 11, 2009 at 1:50 am

These comments made me lol 😀

Anthony C.Nov 11, 2009 at 1:50 am

These comments made me lol 😀

• P

Padraig PearseNov 10, 2009 at 7:06 am

If anyone is interested in how much CSU officials make, you can refer to the following website as published by the Sacramento Bee newspaper in Sacramento, CA.

URL: http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

Good luck!

• P

Padraig PearseNov 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm

URL: http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

Good luck!

• P

Padraig PearseNov 10, 2009 at 3:06 pm

URL: http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

Good luck!

Dr. Raymond Marsalis-Martinez., M.DNov 9, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Atually when they do this again i might be there, i will go skinny dipping in the pool, while Welty watches me.

Dr. Raymond Marsalis-Martinez.Nov 10, 2009 at 3:29 am

DavidNov 9, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Is everyone forgetting that, up until this year, we didn’t even HAVE a library to study in. So what if its closed one day out of seven? We lived without it for a long time, and we can learn to do it again for one day per week.

DavidNov 10, 2009 at 3:15 am

DavidNov 10, 2009 at 3:15 am

Dr. Raymond Marsalis-Martinez., M.D.Nov 9, 2009 at 5:37 pm

The entire thing was a joke conducted by He*T*r C*r*da get a life ………..13 students give me a break

Dr. Raymond Marsalis-Martinez.Nov 10, 2009 at 1:37 am

wtfmanNov 9, 2009 at 2:39 pm

why the hell are you all studing on saturday, damn go out enjoy your youth. Thats why there is sunday.

wtfmanNov 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm

wtfmanNov 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm

• P

Pez FezNov 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm

The library may be closed on Saturdays, but the USU is open until midnight every day.

• P

Pez FezNov 9, 2009 at 9:39 pm

• P

Pez FezNov 9, 2009 at 9:39 pm

WunderkillNov 9, 2009 at 12:31 pm

and the library is closed during the peak of day during a regular academic semester why???

CSU administration salaries should definately be reassessed if this is the case.

WunderkillNov 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm

WunderkillNov 9, 2009 at 8:31 pm