Soccer̢۪s season ends at WAC Tourney

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

It̢۪s the 89th minute of the game and the score is tied 1-1. Boise State gets a free kick from 21 yards away. The ball goes into the right wing of the net and it̢۪s good.

With that goal by Boise State, the season officially ended for the Fresno State women̢۪s soccer team.

This past weekend the Bulldogs played in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championships. Fresno State made it into the WAC tournament as the No. 6 seed, which was the last spot available.

On Thursday, Fresno State lost to the No. 3 seed Boise State, 2-1. All three goals were scored in the second half of play. The only goal scored by Fresno came from junior Janna Sadowitz. In the 65th minute, Sadowitz made an unassisted goal and the defender slipped.

“We got more dangerous in terms of our play, but the difference in capitalizing on chances hurt us,â€Â said coach Brain Zwaschka in a press release about the second half of play.

The Bulldogs, last year̢۪s WAC Tournament winner, had trouble during the season making a difference in games. In the regular season the ̢۪Dogs also lost to Boise State 2-1.

Fresno State finished the regular season with a record of 6-12 and 4-4 in the WAC.

“We have to look back at this year as a development year,â€Â Zwaschka said.

The Bulldogs did not score a goal in their first five games. The team was only able to get a total of eight goals in 17 games for the regular season. The lack of goals by Fresno State may be attributed to the emphasis on passing.

Sophomore Kendall VanDine said that they̢۪re more of a passing team under Coach Zwaschka.

VanDine was named to the Second-Team All-WAC by the coaches. Sophomore Molly Nizzoli and freshman Vanessa Gonzalez joined their teammate on the list.

The season may be over for the Bulldogs to play, but that doesn̢۪t mean the soccer team will stop. The team will have practice Monday and will still go hard, according to VanDine.

“It doesn’t go out the window,â€Â she said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DonNov 9, 2009 at 2:12 pm

janna’s goal wasn’t unassisted.. it was from the sick ass goalkeeper

DonNov 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm

DonNov 9, 2009 at 10:12 pm