Protesters spend night in Madden Library

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

As the Henry Madden Library reached closing hours on Friday, 94 students, faculty and members of the community refused to leave in protest of the reduced library hours this semester. Students said that the study-in protest was part of a larger push for shared governance.

University officials, including the library dean Peter McDonald, vice president of student affairs Paul M. Oliaro, Ph.D., and the director of University Communications Shirley Armbruster as well as others, were all present until about midnight.

Meanwhile, more than three dozen supporters stood outside of the library to show community support for the group inside. Many of them brought food and drinks for the students participating in the protest.

Hector Cerda, a graduate student in social work, said the students planned to stay and study for 24 hours.

“We’re hoping we can get our administration to understand their responsibility toward access to academics [and] higher education,” Cerda said.

He said that the University Student Union (USU) and the Student Recreation Center, which both have greater access than the library throughout the week, were not ideal places to study. They don’t have the facilities or the quiet atmosphere that the library provides, he said.

“It kind of speaks to the sense that a library is here for academics,” Cerda said. “Why send us to a rec center?”

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

McDonald, addressed the students and said that though the library was closed, the students would be allowed to stay as long as they continued to study quietly. However, he said that no one else would be let in or allowed to re-enter if they left.

“I couldn’t be more sympathetic that the budget cuts are impacting the hours, but we hope by the spring that we’re going to be able to turn it around,” McDonald said.

He said that some of the money that is earmarked for the Laptop Loan Program and collections might be redirected to extend the library hours in the spring.

McDonald made an announcement on Wednesday, Nov. 18 that for the final three Saturdays of the semester the library has extended its hours to be open from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. He said that the extension was always planned, and happens every semester.

McDonald said Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) did a study that found Sundays to be preferred to Saturdays among students for library use. So when the library had to make cuts, he decided to cut Saturdays.

The survey went out to 111 student leaders from around campus, and 90 replied. It found that 28.1 percent said 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. were the most crucial hours, and 44.9 percent said 8 p.m. to midnight were the preferred hours to keep the library open. While only 12 percent said that noon to 4 p.m. were the most crucial.

McDonald said that the library offers many more facilities than the USU, therefore it takes more people to keep it open.

He said the library’s budget was cut, resulting in reduced hours.

According to McDonald, collections took a $400,000 hit, operations took a $166,000 hit and student employment, the primary source of employees during late hours, took a $260,000 hit.

The students held a press conference for local media at 10 p.m., where they read from a prepared statement.

The statement reiterated the students’ feelings that there is a lack of shared governance on campus.

They used the extension of the Saturday hours as an example of how the current system falls short. The extended hours, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., did not match the findings of the ASI survey conducted in July.
A closed-door meeting at 11:30 p.m. between students and the library dean effectively ended the protest. Both parties agreed that the students would stay until 7:45 a.m., according to undeclared freshman Satvir Dhah.

Dhah said that the students wanted an understanding with university officials, and they got that understanding.

“There is a big barrier between the students and their needs, and how they’re looked at [by] the people that are making the decisions, the administration,” Dhah said. “In one sense we crossed that barrier today for the first time in this small movement that we’ve had so far.”

Dhah said the study-in was a success, but that the students have plans for further meetings and actions, including a meeting at the California State University, Stanislaus campus with students from several universities. He said that the victory boosted the morale of the group.

Dhah spoke about students who have been critical of recent activism.

“Apathy is a big part of our society,” Dah said, “but when they start seeing that there’s hope, I’m sure they’ll jump on.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

belenmNov 29, 2009 at 7:20 am

I thought this comment section was for comments on the article mentioned above. Maybe I'm wrong…

What these students and faculty members did was well intentioned, but I think people need to accept that California, and everywhere else for that matter, is not doing so well monetarily right now. I commend the attempts of protests and such, but i think what we really need is time. Time for the economy to run its course, and meanwhile, we do the best with what we have, and be thankful we are blessed enough to have that.

belenmNov 28, 2009 at 11:20 pm

• K

kangalsNov 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

thanks for articles

http://www.kangalefsanesi.net

• R

ray2535Nov 25, 2009 at 8:43 pm

well, word has it that the president of NYU is taking a $1 salary! his normal pay is $850k per year!
    hey Welty, are you listening???? Now that is leadership you coward!

Drunk_DawgNov 24, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Everybody just needs to face the facts of the situation the state is broke the school has no money. Somebody should ask those people that stayed for the study-in why didn’t think about the people that had to clean the library. For this the crew already going through furloughs had to miss a night of hard paying work that he or she has to support themselves with.

Drunk_DawgNov 24, 2009 at 8:08 pm

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 23, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Drunk dawg what are you talking about? either you posted already as a drunk or you have no idea what you mean…..what can people learn from your name? To be Drunk?

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 24, 2009 at 4:09 am

• R

RayNov 23, 2009 at 8:05 pm

I have been following these leads since friday night when all the hatred originally posted. drunk_dawg was one of the posters involved in all the hate speech. it is easy to hide behind deleted posts, isn’t it drunk_dawg. my last post about a lawsuit was aimed at the post just before it that has been removed. it was a poster pretending to be “Hector cerda”. it was completely inappropriate. my point is that he collegian needs to do something different with this forum. There is also a great editorial in the paper by lacee solis! i am not a student. i was not at the study in. we should not be able to post comments under any name we want with bogus e-mails. the fresno bee has a more effective model and the collegian should look into it. if it is the policy of the collegian to provide a forum for hate speech, then they are going to be held responsible for not filtering out the hate, racism, ignorance, bigotry, sexism, and genderism that gets posted. drunk_dawg has obvious insecurities regarding hector, and i wouldn’t doubt that he was the poster.

• R

RayNov 24, 2009 at 4:05 am

Drunk_DawgNov 23, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Uh-uh save your preaching for sunday! You don’t have to get all political about being a racist because their is nothing in the Constitution that says anything about you can’t be a racist. So save all what you learned in your political science class for another day. Just face the facts fees are up the library has hours that sucks! Even though I don’t give a care about this but I have to give a lot of Credit to that girl on the news Jamie San Andres she holds her own ground and knows whats going on… I owe her a beer at the bucket……The man with the ponytail tail learn something from the name mentioned above!

Drunk_DawgNov 24, 2009 at 2:34 am

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 23, 2009 at 4:42 pm

KIDD CHRIS,
    last time i checked alot of hate speech that is not alleviated usually leads to illegal actions taken upon those groups that are targeted such as unfair treatment or assault, threats and other acts of violence. They then usually end up in lawsuits, remember Jim Crows Laws? Brown v. Board of Education? Hernandez v. Texas?

It seems you need to spend some time in the Library, Legal section, landmark court decisions regarding racism in U.S. and if you cant find it, ask at the reference desk!

Though this is not Sweden it is U.S. of A, a country that should be an example, or do you accept the hatred towards other people regardless of ethnic background?

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 24, 2009 at 12:42 am

KIDD CHRIS,

• K

Kidd ChrisNov 23, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Ray, last i checked racism wasn’t illegal in the country—–lawsuit? This ain’t Sweden, my man. Hate speech is actually protected

• K

Kidd ChrisNov 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 23, 2009 at 11:28 am

At Uh……..
    It is kinda sad that “solutions” dont get taken on where they feasibly present themselves, which then have to result in a lawsuit.

• U

uh-uh..........Nov 23, 2009 at 7:28 pm

At Uh……..

• U

uh......Nov 23, 2009 at 11:11 am

At Ray: Why should the Collegian face a lawsuit when they have been working hard to delete the comments? It’s kinda sad that these days a lawsuit is the “solution” to everything.

• U

uh......Nov 23, 2009 at 7:11 pm

• R

RayNov 23, 2009 at 10:52 am

perhaps the collegian should do a better job inhibiting hate speech on these posts.
    or will it take a law suit?

• R

RayNov 23, 2009 at 6:52 pm

or will it take a law suit?