One step ahead

Bulldogs use team speed to push past FPU

The women̢۪s basketball team played an exhibition game against Fresno Pacific Wednesday night at the Save Mart Center. The game between the two teams has become an annual event with the Bulldogs winning the last two years. Fresno State took another victory Wednesday with a final score of 57-30.

In the first half of the game, the Bulldogs outscored the Sunbirds 31-13. Fresno State̢۪s scoring was spread throughout the team. Ten players were on the court during the first half and eight of them scored.

Junior Taja Edwards led the team in points in the first half with seven points. She said that since Fresno State is not a tall team and speed helps.

“We’re fast and our goal is to move before our opponent moves,â€Â Edwards said.

The Bulldogs had only three three-pointers in the first half of play. Last season, the team set both school and Western Athletic Conference (WAC) records with 309 three-pointers.

Head Coach Adrian Wiggins said he liked what he saw after the team attempted a three-pointer.

“We either made it or we got the offensive rebound more times than not,â€Â he said.

The Sunbirds, on the other hand, did not even attempt a three-pointer in the entire first half of the game.

Fresno State made the same number of three point shots in the second half as they did in the first. The team ended up making six three-pointers out of an attempted 29 for the entire game.

“We didn’t hold up our half of that deal this game,â€Â Wiggins said about the lack of three-pointers.

Junior Jaleesa Ross, who scored a total of 11 points in the game, noticed the lack of shooting as well.

“Obviously we didn’t shoot the ball as well as we normally do,â€Â she said.

The Sunbirds turned the ball over to the Bulldogs 29 times, while Fresno State only turned the ball over 13 times for the game. Wiggins said the turnovers created offense for the team.

“For us to have 13 [turnovers] is nice,â€Â Wiggins said. “We’re a team that’s capable of having that on a normal night. Hopefully that’s something that stays the same.â€Â

The next time the Bulldogs take the court at the Save Mart Center will be Sunday, Nov. 22, at 2 p.m. against Saint Mary̢۪s College.