No second ‘Goess’-ing

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

Kicker Kevin Goessling hit three field goals in the second half, including a 35-yard game-winning kick as time expired to give the ’Dogs a 30-28 victory.

The last time the Fresno State Bulldogs won a game 30-28, in 2008 at Utah State, kicker Kevin Goessling got all the credit for the win.

After all, Goessling had missed two game-deciding kicks earlier in the 2008 season, in games against Wisconsin and Hawaii, and had taken a beating from the media. He came out on the other side, never gave up and when the ’Dogs needed Goessling, he nailed a 58-yard field goal as time expired, giving the Bulldogs a two-point win.

His teammates carried him off the field and coach Pat Hill praised the then-freshman for battling adversity and keeping his head in the right place. He also thumped his chest saying he was one of the only people in town who believed in Goessling — funny how coaches are always right.

Saturday at Bulldog Stadium, Goessling and the ’Dogs were in nearly the same situation. Down 28-27 with mere seconds remaining, ‘The Goose’ as his teammates call him, nailed a 35-yard field goal right down the alley.

Holder Robert Malone again picked up Goessling. The Bulldogs from Fresno State celebrated a 30-28 victory while the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs stood with a look of shock on their faces.

“I kept saying his day would come,” Hill said.

We know, coach.

Goessling was once again celebrated as the hero, giving the Bulldogs their second 30-28 victory in two years on a last-second field goal.

After Saturday’s game, Hill brought up the 2008 season, saying Goessling didn’t deserve the criticism he received last year.

That seems fair.

He was only a freshman and didn’t have enough experience to be clutch yet. But it’s a two-way street. Goessling wasn’t the real hero of Saturday’s game — after all it was just one field goal, just like the ones he missed.

The two players, who were just voted by teammates as offensive and defensive captains of the team at an awards banquet yesterday, won the game for the Bulldogs. Without quarterback Ryan Colburn and middle linebacker Ben Jacobs, Fresno State wouldn’t have even had a chance at a game-winning field goal. In fact, the team would have lost by two or three scores.

Jacobs was playing out of his mind against Louisiana Tech. The junior had eight tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss, which seems like just another game for Jacobs.

But on three of his tackles, Jacobs ripped the ball from the ball carriers’ hands, forcing three fumbles in one game. He recovered two fumbles, returning one of them 21 yards for a touchdown. Unreal day for Jacobs.
While Jacobs was having a statistical day for the ages, Colburn had one of his worst statistical days as a Bulldog.

He only completed 40 percent of his passes, gaining only 4.3 yards per attempt. He finished the day 17-for-42 with 182 yards and one touchdown.

But with only 2:21 left on the clock and starting on his own 14-yard line, Colburn orchestrated a 16-play, 68-yard drive.

“There are no ifs, ands or buts about it — we had to get it done on that drive,” Colburn said.

The drive was Colburn’s first game-winning drive in his collegiate career and included a gutsy fourth and 10 conversion with the game on the line, the fourth time in the game Colburn and the offense converted on fourth down.

While the rest of their team was playing flat, missing arm tackles and dropping wide open passes, Jacobs and Colburn came through and won the football game.

Just because Jacobs and Colburn didn’t actually kick the field goal doesn’t mean they were not Saturday’s heroes.

If we should all feel sorry for Goessling when he gets all the blame, then he surely doesn’t deserve all the credit.

The credit goes to the guys who play more than six plays a game.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

PLH1Nov 24, 2009 at 11:53 pm

As a student at Fresno State I have been very disappointed lately when opening the sports section. Not only am I reminded that our football team lost, but the over exaggerated facts are strung together by opinionated blows from the writer. So, I took the liberty of confirming my suspicions by checking the Fresno State Football Roster for the past three seasons; I couldn’t seem to find Hopkins anywhere on any of those lists. This shocked me at first as he seemed to have enough to say about how badly the team played, which brought me to my original assumption that he was on the field; the best player out there at that. The part that actually disappointed me the most was the most recent article, November 23, 2009, about the WIN on Saturday and Coach Hill’s comments about a specific player who Hopkins named “the scapegoat” in a previous article. When I finished reading the article I was slightly confused and wondering if I had watched the wrong game. After confirming the win with at least 10 other fans I decided to reread the article. It seams to me that no matter if the Dogs win or loose it will never be good enough for our newest star player Logan. As he labeled in a Facebook photo, which he should probably put on private, he could kick a 22 yard field goal too! I just can’t seem to figure out where a college newspaper writer, with as far as I can see little to no football experience gets off writing so negatively about his own school.
    On a more positive note regarding to his November 23rd article, I would like to point out the very logical point Hopkins makes; “It’s a two way street”. However, while he surprisingly makes a logical point, he fails to back it up. His previous articles names the kicker as the scapegoat, which is defined by Webster’s Dictionary as “one that is the object of irrational hostility”. By giving him this label, I expected to open the paper and find an article with a connotation more similar to the Fresno Bee’s on Saturday November 21, 2009. All players aside, the point is that Logan needs to back up what he writes. I am so disappointed in the Collegian for letting this continue.
    The point of being a sports writer isn’t to be a constant ass and know-it-all it is to state the losses and celebrate the wins with the school you supposedly belong to. If an experienced writer of the Fresno Bee can be positive when necessary and not just give his opinion then I would think that is how it is supposed to be. Logan Hopkins is a good at writing his opinion, maybe sports just isn’t where he belongs.

• P

PLH1Nov 24, 2009 at 3:53 pm

As a student at Fresno State I have been very disappointed lately when opening the sports section. Not only am I reminded that our football team lost, but the over exaggerated facts are strung together by opinionated blows from the writer. So, I took the liberty of confirming my suspicions by checking the Fresno State Football Roster for the past three seasons; I couldn’t seem to find Hopkins anywhere on any of those lists. This shocked me at first as he seemed to have enough to say about how badly the team played, which brought me to my original assumption that he was on the field; the best player out there at that. The part that actually disappointed me the most was the most recent article, November 23, 2009, about the WIN on Saturday and Coach Hill’s comments about a specific player who Hopkins named “the scapegoatâ€Â in a previous article. When I finished reading the article I was slightly confused and wondering if I had watched the wrong game. After confirming the win with at least 10 other fans I decided to reread the article. It seams to me that no matter if the Dogs win or loose it will never be good enough for our newest star player Logan. As he labeled in a Facebook photo, which he should probably put on private, he could kick a 22 yard field goal too! I just can’t seem to figure out where a college newspaper writer, with as far as I can see little to no football experience gets off writing so negatively about his own school.
    On a more positive note regarding to his November 23rd article, I would like to point out the very logical point Hopkins makes; “It’s a two way streetâ€Â. However, while he surprisingly makes a logical point, he fails to back it up. His previous articles names the kicker as the scapegoat, which is defined by Webster’s Dictionary as “one that is the object of irrational hostilityâ€Â. By giving him this label, I expected to open the paper and find an article with a connotation more similar to the Fresno Bee’s on Saturday November 21, 2009. All players aside, the point is that Logan needs to back up what he writes. I am so disappointed in the Collegian for letting this continue.
    The point of being a sports writer isn̢۪t to be a constant ass and know-it-all it is to state the losses and celebrate the wins with the school you supposedly belong to. If an experienced writer of the Fresno Bee can be positive when necessary and not just give his opinion then I would think that is how it is supposed to be. Logan Hopkins is a good at writing his opinion, maybe sports just isn̢۪t where he belongs.

juniorNov 24, 2009 at 10:49 am

That’s amusing. Number 35 hits a 35 to win his last home game of the season.

juniorNov 24, 2009 at 6:49 pm