Hand sanitizer season has arrived

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

With the rapidly approaching flu season on the horizon, along with the H1N1 virus outbreak, many educational institutes have taken part in defending against illnesses.

The nursing department at California State University, Fresno has issued seasonal flu vaccinations to students this semester, using fliers and posters to educate students.

Health kits were made available to students that contained sanitary consumables in effort to keep students healthy.

“Current trends show increased use of hand sanitizer,â€Â said nursing instructor in the Nursing Resource Center (NRC), Brenda Laing.

The NRC, like many areas around campus, sees the provision of hand sanitizer as a necessity. One way this could be done is by implementing hand sanitizer dispensers in high-trafficked areas around campus.

“Between 75 and 150 students use the NRC on a daily basis and come in contact with the computers and practice mannequins,â€Â Laing said. “In order to decrease the spread of infection, students are encouraged to frequently wash their hands and use hand sanitizer.â€Â

Laing said that due to the ease of the hand sanitizer, students tend to use it often.

“With the tight budget, we have to be careful of our spending,â€Â Laing said. “However, our department chair feels that prevention of the spread of infection is a high priority and has approved the use of the hand sanitizer in the NRC.â€Â

The NRC has 11 hand sanitizer bottles available for students, each containing over 60 percent alcohol.

“Hand sanitizer is primarily made of alcohol, with 60 percent or greater being most effective, and moisturizers,â€Â Laing said.

She said the availability of hand sanitizer by the university for students and faculty could help with avoiding illnesses.

“It would be beneficial for the school to install hand sanitizer on the wall in strategic places,â€Â Laing said.

Jessica Fern, a nursing major and student assistant in the Henry Madden Library, agreed that installing hand sanitizer in high traffic areas around campus would be beneficial.

“I think the food court would be a good place to put them, and anywhere with a computer lab,â€Â Fern said.

The reference desk at the library has placed hand sanitizer next to the computers and the printer in their area.

“We have tried to utilize that here at the computer station,â€Â Fern said. “We try to put them in high-trafficked areas.â€Â

Fern also said that they clean the desks by wiping them with disinfectant.

However, Laing and Fern agree that hand sanitizer is only a secondary use for protecting against illness.

“If you can’t get someplace to wash your hands then hand sanitizer is the next best thing,â€Â Fern said. She said washing your hands for 15 seconds can be very helpful.

“The most important way to prevent the spread of germs is to wash your hands, wash your hands and wash your hands,â€Â Laing said. “Health and safety should never be compromised.â€Â