Garcia finishes second at WAC Championships

Fresno State̢۪s Erick Garcia finished second at the cross country Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championships on Saturday in Reno, Nev. He finished three seconds behind the winner in the 8K race.

Led by Garcia, a junior from Parlier, Calif., the Bulldogs were able to finish second in the WAC, which was the team̢۪s best finish in 18 years. The Bulldogs finished second at the Big West Championships in 1991.

Three players from the men̢۪s team were named to the All-WAC team. Garcia was named to the first team, and teammates Paul Zwama, who finished 10th, and Danny Vartanian, who finished 13th, both earned second team honors.

The women̢۪s team finished fifth at the championships. Roxanne Sellick, who finished eighth in the 5K run, led the Bulldogs. This was her fourth top 10 of the season.

Sellick was the only member of the women̢۪s team to earn All-WAC honors, making the second team.

Along with Sellick, the women̢۪s team got high finishes from seniors Marissa McPhail and Jennifer Hernandez, who finished 15th and 22nd, respectively.

The Bulldogs will next compete at the NCAA Regional in Eugene, Ore., on Nov. 14.

In the regional race, the men will run a 10K and the women will be running a 6K race.