Dealing with adversity

Losing on a last second field goal or a heartbreaking buzzer beater can be devastating to the success of a team.

Sometimes a team cannot recover from the defeat, spiraling into a multiple-game losing streak that can end a season prematurely. Other times, a team can rally and turn their season in a positive direction, under the guidance and tutelage of their coach.

No team is immune to a heartbreaking defeat, but how the defeat is handled is the true mark of a team̢۪s resolve.

Fresno State athletics is far too familiar with devastating losses. Whether it be the football team losing a triple overtime game against nationally ranked Texas A&M in 2007 or losing to perennial basketball powerhouse Stanford by two points in 2006. With all of the devastating losses over the years, Fresno State coaches know what to do to turn their season back around.

Fresno State head football coach Pat Hill said the team has to keep striving to be the best, even if the team suffered a tough loss.

“We have to put the loss behind us,â€Â Hill said. “I feel I have to motivate us to get better. No matter win or lose, I try to get the best out of the players.â€Â

Hill added that his coaching strategy differs depending on the situation the team is in, but motivation does not change in different situations.

“For us [the football team], it is do or die every week, motivation is very important,â€Â Hill said.

Men̢۪s head basketball coach Steve Cleveland said his coaching strategy depends on how the team played during a heartbreaking loss.

“If the team played well and lost, I like to point out the good things that happened during the game,â€Â Cleveland said. “I don’t want to be condescending to the players if they played well. Sometimes you can play well and lose, it just happens. I want the players to keep their confidence.â€Â

Sophomore guard Paul George said practices are more intense following a tough loss.

“Coach [Cleveland] is a little harder on us the next couple of practices,â€Â George said. “We focus on the details more. Focusing and learning from the small details are what makes us a better program.â€Â

Cleveland said attention to detail is one of his main focuses following a loss.

“Close games come down to the little details,â€Â Cleveland said. “The small things need to be paid attention to. That is why I like for the team to watch a lot of film. I want them to see the small mistakes.â€Â

Women̢۪s head basketball coach Adrian Wiggins also feels that film sessions are important, more so if the team played well.

“If the team played well and lost a close game, we will probably watch more film and have more intense sessions,â€Â Wiggins said. “I like them to see the mistakes they made. But if the team played poorly and lost a close game, practices will be more physical and there will be more conditioning.â€Â

Wiggins also added that motivation is not a problem after a tough loss.

“It is easier to motivate them after a loss because they are hungry. After a win, the team can get somewhat complacent,â€Â Wiggins said.

George also feels that the players need less motivation on the heels of a defeat.

“We don’t really need much motivation,â€Â George said. “We instill the pressure to win on ourselves. We know we need to get better.â€Â