All Utah State needed was a closer

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

Saturday at Bulldog Stadium, the Utah State Aggies played a near-perfect first half of football.

After 30 minutes of play, Utah State was up 27-17 on the home team and quarterback Diondre Borel was on pace for a career-type day. He controlled the game, keeping the ball in his hands for 20 minutes, racking up 237 total yards and two touchdowns.

The Bulldogs’ defense could barely get a hand on the guy. The sideline was the team’s leading tackler in the first half.

“He’s one of those guys who wouldn’t get wet moving around in a shower,” head coach Pat Hill said. “That guy is quick.”

I couldn’t have said it any better, coach.

The dual-threat signal caller was a nightmare of a matchup for the ’Dogs’ defense.

But he sure isn’t a closer.

Utah State is 1-3 in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in 2009. The first two of the three losses were both by three points and Saturday, the Aggies lost 31-27.

In all of those conference games, especially against Fresno State Saturday, the Aggies wouldn’t have been in any of them without Borel. He’s the best player on the team and the main offensive weapon. But first half stats don’t really matter in the end.

Luckily for Fresno State, that same adage applies. Tailback Ryan Mathews, the nation’s leading rusher, had only six carries and 40 yards in the first half.

."
Brianna Campbell / The Collegian

But when the pressure was on, trailing in the fourth quarter, Fresno State’s closer was at his best. With six minutes left in the game, with his team down three points, 27-24, it was time for Mathews to take over.

Starting on their own 22-yard line, the Bulldogs force fed Mathews and he would not be denied. The junior rushed seven yards and then for 46 yards. He capped the drive with a 10-yard touchdown burst and a calm touchdown celebration.

Everyone in the stadium knew Mathews would come through.

“He’s a workhorse, man,” Hill said. “Everybody is looking for 21, there is no question about that.”

And there is no question that he cannot be stopped.

But it wasn’t over just yet. Down 31-27, with four minutes remaining, Borel had one last chance to get his team to the end zone and get its first points of the second half. The drive stalled after four plays and left the Aggies with a fourth down and five yards to go on their own 37-yard line.

Decisions, decisions. The Aggies contemplated the situation. Should they go for it and trust their guy to get five yards when he needs it or take their chances trying to stop Mathews?

Utah State’s coach Gary Andersen chose to take his chances trying to stop Mathews. Hindsight is 20/20, but did he really think he could stop Mathews? Or did he not trust his best player?

Either way, bad choice.

The Bulldogs got the ball back with 3 minutes remaining on their six-yard line. In the shadow of their own end zone, the ’Dogs had one choice and once again, everyone saw it coming.

With 1:10 remaining after picking up one first down and milking the clock, the Bulldogs faced a third and seven. The Aggies had no timeouts remaining. All the Bulldogs needed was a first down to ice the game and complete the second-half comeback.

Easy decision. Trust your best player.

“[In the huddle before the play] I just looked at all my linemen’s eyes, they looked at me and we just smiled,” Mathews said.

Mathews picked up 11 yards on third down and seven. The next play ran was a quarterback kneel-down from the victory formation. The closer sealed the deal and got to keep on smiling.

Mathews had 145 yards and the go-ahead touchdown in the second half, willing his team to victory. As the game went on, he only got stronger and faster and more elusive. And he showed Utah State how to finish a game.

“He sure ran good at the end,” Hill said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Best Man SpeechesNov 3, 2009 at 6:42 am

The poor first-half was made up for by a much improved second-half display.

Best Man SpeechesNov 3, 2009 at 2:42 pm

juniorNov 2, 2009 at 7:40 pm

It seems like everyone started leaving at halftime . . . like they were throwing in the towel early. They sure missed a good second half

juniorNov 3, 2009 at 3:40 am

• E

Eduard CarrochioNov 2, 2009 at 5:45 pm

garbage performance at home for the dogs—–why has Utah state given this team so much trouble lately. 13-12 loss to Aggies in 2006. 2007 was a solid win for dogs—-barely earned win last year in Logan and now this? sad, sad, sad. We’ll lose to Idaho (a decent team this year) if we come out like this next week.

• E

Eduard CarrochioNov 3, 2009 at 1:45 am

• F

fewandmanyNov 2, 2009 at 8:01 am

It was a close game, for a while i thought the dog would not be able to stop them but they did. If they play like that against nevada, they will lose. Defense was solid in the second half though.

• F

fewandmanyNov 2, 2009 at 4:01 pm