A little too close

."
Matt Weir / The Collegian

The Fresno State men̢۪s basketball team gave the Gators every chance to spoil their season opener and hand them a loss that would be sure to bring back memories of a tough 2008-09 year, but the Gators just wouldn̢۪t take the opportunity.

Greg Smith, however, didn̢۪t turn down the opportunity to make a great first impression and make the Bulldogs a winner.

In his first official collegiate game, Smith blocked five shots, scored 17 points on 6-of-6 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds to help lead the Bulldogs to a 64-59 victory over the San Francisco State Gators.

“Greg’s a keeper,â€Â head coach Steve Cleveland said. “He is doing everything we ask. I am very pleased with what he did [tonight].â€Â

Although Smith shined in his debut, the Bulldogs, as a team, did not.

The Bulldogs were sluggish in the first half, struggling both offensively and defensively. The ̢۪Dogs shot 9-of-25 from the field and 1-of-8 from 3-point range, while allowing San Francisco State to shoot an impressive 53.8 percent from the field.

Fresno State trailed at halftime, 32-31.

“Our energy was not what it needed to be in the first half,â€Â Cleveland said. “We were a step slow defensively and made undisciplined decisions.â€Â

Sophomore guard Brandon Sperling agreed, saying the team didn̢۪t have the intensity they needed to have to open the game.

“We were flat,â€Â Sperling said.

To open the second half, the Bulldogs were a different team, coming out with more energy and intensity. The ̢۪Dogs opened the second half with a 12-0 run, taking the lead 43-32.

Amidst the 12-point run, the ‘Dogs received the highlight of the night courtesy of Paul George. George stole the ball from Gator guard Marquel Hoskins, raced down court and threw down a thunderous windmill dunk to ignite the crowd.

George finished the night with a game-high 19 points and eight boards.

The Bulldogs̢۪ hot shooting continued throughout the half, as they shot 57.9 percent from the field.

More important than the ̢۪Dogs strong shooting performance in the second half was their defensive intensity. Fresno State held the Gators in check throughout the half, causing them to shoot a mere 26.5 percent from the field on 9-of-34 shooting.

“I thought going to zone really helped us,â€Â Cleveland said.

Even though the ‘Dogs were more efficient offensively and defensively in the second half, they could not put away the Gators.

“We couldn’t seem to separate ourselves from them,â€Â Cleveland said. “We have to learn how to win.â€Â

The Gators were able to stay in the game due in large part to poor free throw shooting by the Bulldogs. Fresno State shot 62.2 percent from the line, making 23 out of 37 attempts.

“We missed a significant number of free throws,â€Â Cleveland said. “We have to continue working on free-throws.â€Â

With 2:31 remaining in the game, the Gators pulled within two points of the Bulldogs with a 3-point basket by Phoenix O̢۪Rourke, making the score 59-57. The Bulldogs responded with the key play of the game.

George passed the ball down low to Smith. He turned towards the basket and with two players draped on him, finished with a powerful dunk.

Sperling would add three late free throws to ice the victory.

“In the second half, we did what we needed to do to win,â€Â Cleveland said. “There is nothing wrong winning a close game. If you don’t come ready to play, anyone can beat you.â€Â