What̢۪s wrong with jack?

This weekend I was surfing the net and came across a “Saturday Night Liveâ€Â comedy sketch on the Web site Hulu (one of the Internet’s greatest achievements) in which President Obama is portrayed as having done nothing while in office.

In the sketch, Obama, played by ‘SNL’ veteran Fred Armisen, goes through a long checklist of promises he made during his campaign that have yet to be accomplished, summing up his tenure with this gem: “So, looking at this list I’m seeing two big accomplishments: jack and squat.â€Â

Aside from being hilarious, the bit does point out something that the bulk of my party (the Republican Party) fails to realize — Obama hasn’t done anything yet.

From what you hear on Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and the rest of the cable news shows you would think the president was Karl Marx reincarnated, when he̢۪s actually just the second coming of Bill Clinton. And is that so bad?

Consider: during the Clinton years welfare reform legislation was passed, the Defense of Marriage Act was signed, and by the end of “Slick Willy’sâ€Â term the United States had a budget surplus.

None of this happened because Bill Clinton was a great president — he wasn’t. This happened precisely because we had an indecisive and divided government in which the Democrats controlled the executive office and the Republicans controlled Congress.

The parallels between Obama and Clinton are eerie to say the least. Both have strong wives who hold a significant amount of sway within their administrations, both were painted as radically liberal when both were more center-left, and both tried (Obama obviously still is) to get health care reform passed in their first terms.

Both were seen as “hipâ€Â and “cool,â€Â with Clinton being able to play the saxophone and Obama being a basketball player. Clinton was seen as “the first black presidentâ€Â by author Toni Morrison, while Obama literally is the first African-American president of the United States.

So there are a lot of similarities. But there are a few chinks in the armor of this analogy. One is that the Democrats own an overwhelming lead in the Congress, with a 257-178 majority in the House of Representatives and a de facto filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. During the Clinton Administration the Republicans soundly trounced the Democrats in the midterm elections of 1994, not relinquishing control of the Congress until 2006.

Another is Obama̢۪s seeming lack of willingness to try anything that might damage his ratings at the polls. Clinton, in his first term, ran the gamut on attempting controversial legislation, trying to allow gays to serve openly in the military (failing), making an effort to ram socialized medicine down our throats (failing miserably) and passing tighter gun control restrictions (unfortunately succeeding).

But, fellow conservatives, there is no reason to fret. Obama will not take our country down the path to socialism nor will hordes of Islamic fundamentalists come streaming into our cities with suitcase bombs in hand. Liberals, don’t get all worked up watching MSNBC’s prime time lineup from hell and believe that Obama is a complete and utter failure because he won’t usher in a new era of liberalism—at his heart he’s still a leftist. The best hope for this country is that the president continues his current course—doing “jackâ€Â and “squat.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

Anjuli HollmanOct 8, 2009 at 11:05 am

Oh wow. That’s a very interesting perspective. Thanks for being brave and voicing your true views. This provokes a lot of debate. I would not go as far as saying that he is not going to do anything, just the fact that he is not doing anything creates problems. It affects people now, maybe not so much in the long term. Like the fact the troops are waiting to find out if they are stagnant or going to get help. Trust, me for all those waiting for him to do something, they are affected.

Anjuli HollmanOct 8, 2009 at 6:05 pm