Welty to hold open meeting with Fresno State community

."
Jason Wada / The Collegian

A meeting between California State University, Fresno President John D. Welty and students, faculty and staff is scheduled for Nov. 3 in the Peace Garden.

Vice president of student affairs, Dr. Paul Oliaro, said that the meeting is not intended to be a series of speeches, but rather an open discussion.

“I think we want to try to set up a format and an opportunity where there can be a free exchange of ideas,â€Â Oliaro said. “That’s what a university’s all about.â€Â

The meeting is a result of last week̢۪s walkout on the Fresno State campus.

Around 2 p.m. on Oct. 21, more than 80 students participated in a sit-in protest in the Haak Center, just outside the elevators on the fourth floor of the Henry Madden Library. The Haak Center is home to the office of President John D. Welty, who agreed to meet with the campus community to begin a dialogue.

In an e-mail interview with The Collegian, Welty addressed the walkout.

“I appreciate [the student’s] commitment to improve support for higher education,â€Â Welty said. “I, too, have a deep concern about the impact of fee increases and fewer class offerings at our campus and other state-supported institutions of higher education.â€Â

Oliaro said that issues tied to higher-education cuts expand farther than just Fresno State.

“One of the solutions to the long-term economic growth of the state is to have a more educated citizenry,â€Â Oliaro said. “And that’s what we’re trying to provide, and [the state] is making it much more difficult.â€Â

Oliaro said that the target of the university community̢۪s frustration ends up being the campus̢۪s administration, but that it should be Sacramento. He said that there are no simple solutions, and that the university welcomes the exchange of ideas on Nov. 3.

One of the walkout̢۪s organizers, Jamie San Andres, was happy with the student turnout on Oct. 21, but said she would not be satisfied until all of the students̢۪ demands were addressed.

San Andres, a senior anthropology and political science double major, disagreed with Oliaro and Welty̢۪s interpretation of the situation.

“This is not just a state issue,â€Â San Andres said.

San Andres said that the real problem is in the California State University (CSU) system and Fresno State itself. She cited the perks and privileges of the administrators, such as Welty̢۪s $1,000 monthly vehicle allowance, and the university̢۪s lack of transparency.

“Transparency must come first,â€Â San Andres said.

Earlier this month, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed SB 218, which would have given greater transparency into auxiliary organizations that perform government functions by updating the California Public Records Act (CPRA).

San Andres said that Fresno State should allow for greater transparency into such auxiliary organizations, and for the university as a whole.

San Andres also said that the first half of the meeting will be used to discuss the list of student̢۪s demands, and the second half will be open for students to address Welty.

According to San Andres, similar meetings could be scheduled in the future depending on the outcome of the initial meeting.