Week 7 WAC football power rankings

No. 1: Boise State Broncos (6-0, 1-0 in WAC)
Last Week: beat Tulsa, 28-21, in Tulsa
Next Opponent: at Hawaii
Why No. 1: The Broncos have not lost to a Western Athletic Conference (WAC) opponent since the 2007 season when they traveled to Oahu. They are still the dominant team in the WAC and until another WAC school defeats them, they will continue to dominate this conference.
The Buzz: Boise State is ranked No. 4 in the nation in the first Bowl Championship Series (BCS) rankings of the season, even with its close victory over Tulsa. It will be interesting to see if remaining WAC powers Nevada and Idaho can crash their BCS dreams.

No. 2: Idaho Vandals (6-1, 3-0 in WAC)
Last Week: beat Hawaii, 35-23, in Moscow
Next Opponent: at Nevada
Why No. 2: The Vandals continue to be the surprise team of the WAC. They have six wins this year, which is the most since their four wins in 2002. However, their wins have come against Colorado State and the bottom of the WAC conference.
The Buzz: Idaho faces its first real challenge of the WAC season as they travel to Reno to take on Nevada. A win against the Wolf Pack will prove that Idaho is for real and a challenger in the WAC. After the game with Nevada, the Vandals play Louisiana Tech, Fresno State and Boise State.

No. 3: Fresno State Bulldogs (3-3, 2-1 in WAC)
Last Week: beat San Jose State, 42-21, in Fresno
Next Opponent: at New Mexico State
Why No. 3: The Bulldogs have won two games in a row and are dominating their competition once again. They have the third-ranked rushing attack in the nation, averaging 279 yards a game. All three of the teams the ̢۪Dogs lost to, Wisconsin, Boise State and Cincinnati, are currently ranked in the BCS Top 25.
The Buzz: Junior tailback Ryan Mathews continued his amazing 2009 campaign by rushing for 233 yards and one touchdown against San Jose State. He leads the nation in rushing with 974 yards. The Bulldogs are 2-1 in the WAC and should be favored in the rest of the games this season.

No. 4: Nevada Wolf Pack (3-3, 2-0 in WAC)
Last Week: beat Utah State, 35-32, in Logan
Next Opponent: vs. Idaho
Why No. 4: Nevada has a three-game winning streak and have been putting up offensive numbers like crazy. Colin Kaepernick has thrown for six touchdowns in his last two games and the Pack has the number one rushing offense in the nation, averaging 292 yards a game.
The Buzz: Nevada now enters a game with Idaho that could have WAC title implications. The ground attack will lead the Nevada offense in the game, as they hope to take down Idaho.

No. 5: Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (3-3, 2-1 in WAC)
Last Week: beat New Mexico State, 45-7, in Ruston
Next Opponent: at Utah State
Why No. 5: Louisiana Tech is at number five for one reason – there is not anyone below them who can be placed at the No. 5 spot. They are just a middle of the pack WAC team.
The Buzz: If Louisiana Tech wants to go to a bowl game this year, they are going to have to win games against tough opponents. After the game against Utah State on Saturday, the Bulldogs will have to travel to Idaho, return home to take on Boise State and then head back on the road against LSU.

No. 6: New Mexico State Aggies (3-4, 1-2 in WAC)
Last Week: lost to Louisiana Tech, 45-7, in Ruston, LA
Next Opponent: vs. Fresno State
Why No. 6: The Aggies are the best of the cellar dwellers. They have not scored more than 21 points all season in any game and have three wins by a combined nine points. They only beat Prairie View A&M by three, 21-18.
The Buzz: Hosting Fresno State this week should be an interesting matchup, as they are going to face a rejuvenated Bulldogs team and will have to deal with the nation’s leading rusher in Ryan Mathews. The Aggies have not been able to do anything offensively.

No. 7: Hawaii Warriors (2-4, 0-3 in WAC)
Last Week: lost to Idaho, 35-23, in Moscow
Next Opponent: vs. Boise State
Why No. 7: Hawaii only has two victories this year against Central Arkansas and Washington State – enough said.
The Buzz: Hawaii might see its record fall to 2-6 and 0-5 in the WAC within the next two weeks as they play Boise State this week and then head to Nevada next week. The Warriors still must play Wisconsin the last week of the season. Hawaii will be home on the island in December, but not for a bowl game.

No. 8: Utah State Aggies (1-5, 0-2 in WAC)
Last Week: lost to Nevada, 35-32, in Logan
Next Opponent: vs. Louisiana Tech
Why No. 8: They have one win on the season against Southern Utah, 63-7, and they get points for playing Utah, Texas A&M and BYU. They hung in close to Nevada, but just couldn’t come up with a victory.
The Buzz: Diondre Borel has been a bright spot for the Aggies, as he has 13 combined rushing and passing touchdowns. With games left versus Fresno State, Boise State and Idaho, it looks like another down year for Utah State.

No. 9: San Jose State Spartans (1-5, 0-2 in WAC)
Last Week: lost to Fresno State, 42-21, in Fresno
Next Opponent: vs. Boise State (Oct. 31)
Why No. 9: The Spartans rank 118th out of 119 teams in Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams in rush defense and also in offensive rushing yards.
The Buzz: San Jose State could not stop the run against Fresno State, as Ryan Mathews torched the Spartans for 233 yards. With a game against No. 4 Boise State next, it is safe to say that San Jose State will not be going bowling this year.