WEB-SPE@K: What’s your walkout story?

Did you participate in the walkout? If you did, what motivated you to take action? Tell us your walkout story.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Raymond M.Oct 23, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Well Hello to all the students that responded to this we’re not here to indulge in a fantasy world but in a political and economic reality. The University, has become a second-rate entity. The Universities financial deficit are at nightmare proportions. That is why it is necessary for all these cut and what they are currently doing which I believe is the right thing to do. Now in the days when fees where low and one could attend college at an affordable cost. This was when the University and the CSU education in California. What I mean by this is that with all these necessary cuts the CSU still maintains great accountability to the students. The taxpayers have to make sure cuts are necessary because it is their money at stake and they should agree to these cuts. The walkout was just I will continue to repeat just for many of those students that are afraid of their own behinds. It is still going to be certain groups that continue to disrupt the functioning. All, together, those students that participated in the walkout contribute to less than 3 percent of their financial needs to their education. People complain about the salary that the President and the administration is making but why should people complain is it their fault that they handle their business and those people at the walkout are penalizing them for being successful. The new law of evolution in academics seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated and that is why these cuts were necessary something that these people in the walkout don’t seem to understand. These activists should not believe that the administration are destroyers of high education. They should realize that the CSU is a liberator of these cuts which are necessary. The point that I am trying to make is that greed for a lack of a better word –is good
    Greed is right ….Greed works….Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms greed for life for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of the world of academics. Also, greed you can read my words will not only save the university but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

• R

Raymond M.Oct 24, 2009 at 1:08 am

Shannon ScottOct 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

To those of you TARGETING people that organized and/or participated in the walkout, FDR would have called you and the economic state we’re in: the “grave dangers of ‘rightist reaction’ in this nation.â€Â That reaction being one of NON-ACTION and succumbing to the privatizing of our PUBLIC university. He would have expressed of you all, as those who have “yielded to spirited fascism here at home.â€Â So you may want to re-think and re-evaluate what you think and how you express yourself and the values of this nation
    I assume that most you didn̢۪t even know that if former president FDR would have lived a bit longer, WE THE PEOPLE of the United States would have a SECOND BILL OF RIGHTS, that guarantees us ALL the RIGHT TO A GOOD EDUCATION. so YES! EDUCATION IS A RIGHT NOT A PRIVILEDGE! and this is a real possibilty if we unite to demand it, we CAN change this. The system we̢۪re in didn̢۪t create itself, PEOPLE CREATED IT, which means PEOPLE CAN CHANGE IT TOO. But it will not change until we stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

For you Sean, you are very wise. I too am against corporatism and want to “end government monopoly of education!â€Â But we have to start somewhere and students’ mentality about de-institutionalizing education will not change until they actually SEE what this university is doing with OUR money. untill the BOOKS ARE OPEN. Fresno State is building all these projects like CAMPUS POINT, assisted living housing, LUXURY housing, and the strip MALL just like the SAVEMART CENTER at the expense of students/faculty/staff. But guess what? We will not be able to see all these profits until FRESNO STATE OPENS THE BOOKS! and Fresno State has been, is, and will continue building at the expense of us all until we DEMAND that this stops, until we DEMAND that they open up AUXILLARY’s books. Join us all November 3rd 12noon-2pm at the PEACE GARDEN, where President Welty has vowed to meet with us to negotiate our demands.

Shannon ScottOct 23, 2009 at 11:02 pm

To those of you TARGETING people that organized and/or participated in the walkout, FDR would have called you and the economic state we’re in: the “grave dangers of ‘rightist reaction’ in this nation.” That reaction being one of NON-ACTION and succumbing to the privatizing of our PUBLIC university. He would have expressed of you all, as those who have “yielded to spirited fascism here at home.” So you may want to re-think and re-evaluate what you think and how you express yourself and the values of this nation
    I assume that most you didn’t even know that if former president FDR would have lived a bit longer, WE THE PEOPLE of the United States would have a SECOND BILL OF RIGHTS, that guarantees us ALL the RIGHT TO A GOOD EDUCATION. so YES! EDUCATION IS A RIGHT NOT A PRIVILEDGE! and this is a real possibilty if we unite to demand it, we CAN change this. The system we’re in didn’t create itself, PEOPLE CREATED IT, which means PEOPLE CAN CHANGE IT TOO. But it will not change until we stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

For you Sean, you are very wise. I too am against corporatism and want to “end government monopoly of education!” But we have to start somewhere and students’ mentality about de-institutionalizing education will not change until they actually SEE what this university is doing with OUR money. untill the BOOKS ARE OPEN. Fresno State is building all these projects like CAMPUS POINT, assisted living housing, LUXURY housing, and the strip MALL just like the SAVEMART CENTER at the expense of students/faculty/staff. But guess what? We will not be able to see all these profits until FRESNO STATE OPENS THE BOOKS! and Fresno State has been, is, and will continue building at the expense of us all until we DEMAND that this stops, until we DEMAND that they open up AUXILLARY’s books. Join us all November 3rd 12noon-2pm at the PEACE GARDEN, where President Welty has vowed to meet with us to negotiate our demands.

• R

RNACOct 23, 2009 at 3:38 pm

NO DREAM ACT!!!!

• R

RNACOct 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm

NO DREAM ACT!!!!

Juan LOct 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Well it seems like this argument has pitted the haves against the have-nots. Is free/very cheap schooling a right? No. Is it a privilege? Far from it. Compare the average academic requirements and costs of attending a CSU vs UC and one sees both ends of the spectrum. The current cost of tuition is just about right. If a $600-$800 rise in tuition is breaking your bank account then you may have bigger problems. However, we cannot expect a rise in tuition without some comparable rise in quality of service. At the very least, we should expect the same. Most of the frustration stems from a shortage of classes. That is simply unacceptable, especially for those of us in our senior year. So I ask those of you who demand free education to reconsider the logic behind that view. I also want the elitists to remember that we are all part of the same system – one that may cut the last class that you need to graduate, no matter how much money you have.

Juan LOct 23, 2009 at 7:27 pm

• H

He Hate MeOct 22, 2009 at 11:39 pm

Only $5000 dollars a year!? $25,000 to graduate from Fresno States!!!? Really? As a student i can’t pretend to believe that i can go to school for a whole year for only $5000 unless that includes my housing (because i pay rent every month), food, bills, gas, BOOKS, parking permit, and everything else we must pay to survive for a year…. after adding all of that i assure you a semester in college is way more than just tuition or $5000. I have worked up to three jobs to afford school while going to school full time, without any financial aid.
    I̢۪m a senior and at this point i am not sure if i will be able to come up with tuition for next semester to graduate, i no longer have a job.
    $5000 is a lot! for you average working student… when you don’t have money, any amount of money is A LOT
    ______________________________________________________________________
    Your cost to drive to class should be factored in as well? Ha! I may give you credit for adding the total of books and a dorm room, but get real—-nobody forces you to live 12 miles from the campus.

• H

He Hate MeOct 23, 2009 at 6:39 am

I’m a senior and at this point i am not sure if i will be able to come up with tuition for next semester to graduate, i no longer have a job.

• Q

QuestionOct 22, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Does “Oblisk” have respect for the taxpaying students that participated in the walkout?

• Q

QuestionOct 23, 2009 at 2:05 am

Sean LowrieOct 22, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Noemi what you said, and many others have said makes me think of some economic advice.

Since the problem really is the US Dollar just doesn’t go far enough. What I’m going to do when I earn an appreciable income is get away from the political funny money that ironically has “In God we Trust” stamped on it.

I’m storing my wealth in gold, silver, platinum, and diamonds. Historically those precious commodities never suffer inflation. When gold prices rise, I’m not getting richer, but everyone else is getting poorer.

The Federal Reserve is a political weapon to keep us poor and dependent.

I’m tired of their damned game.

Now will this solve your money shortage now? NO! You cannot get richer just storing your wealth in precious metal. However, in the years to come when gasoline costs $12.34 a gallon and a meager home cooked meal is about $15 a person, you’ll still be as rich (or poor) as you were when you purchased the gold/silver/whatever.

We can exit this damned inflationary policy debacle.

Hope this helps everyone in the future.

-Sean

Sean LowrieOct 22, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I’m tired of their damned game.

Hope this helps everyone in the future.

-Sean

• N

Noemi ValdesOct 22, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Ashley,

$5000 is a lot! for you average working student… when you don’t have money, any amount of money is A LOT.

• N

Noemi ValdesOct 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Ashley,

Sean LowrieOct 22, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Nick, the phrase general welfare refers to the welfare of the Union, and the welfare of the States. It doesn’t mean welfare in the colloquial sense of taxation and redistribution for individuals.

Welfare as we know it today was invented in the wave of progressivism that swept the United States in the 20s and came to bear fruit in the 30s. Things like FDR’s Works Progress Administration were the first modern welfare. The welfare state came to its full maturity in the 60s with LBJ’s Great Society push. Before these movements there was no national welfare, college stipends, or anything that we associate with welfare. The entire concept of wealth redistribution was foreign and opposed to the liberal mindset of America before this time.

I also find it very sad that the few liberals left in the United States, we know them as “Libertarians” are rather a fringe group. The modern left is not liberal, though it assumes that title. The modern right is also not liberal. Both major parties have at least 40 years, if not more, heavily invested in the great social works of fascism.

Fascism though is not equivalent to Jew hating Nazis. Fascism is simply the secular religion of the state. Benito Mussolini stated it best when he proclaimed “Everything for the State, nothing outside of the State.” Fascism was born in France during their revolution, but that was of a different breed. Taking social engineering ideas from England and the Weimar Republic, the United States became the world’s first modern-fascist regime during WWI under Woodrow Wilson. Thankfully, we went back to being a republic, but the poison took root.

What I’m trying to get at is that we have all drank the poison Kool-aid of statism/fascism. We all want more progress, more great works, more enforced material equality. We want high speed rail. We want more regulation of all modes of transportation. We already have, and have had for a long time, complete government monopoly on children through the public school system. We already have an unholy alliance of vested business interest and the all seeing Federal Government. (And I mean only the absolute largest businesses, one needs multi-billions to in part effect the direction of this massive society)

I’m shouting STOP! ENOUGH! The answer isn’t MORE government schooling, but NO government schooling, at least not nationally. All governments certainly must cease their monopoly on what is and isn’t kosher. I shout for liberality, for freedom.

And for that I certainly don’t want yet another generation forced into government schools to learn only the lessons big government wants the populous to learn, and in the process, learning absolute dependence on the state.

That my friends is slavery under a pretty name.

-Sean

Sean LowrieOct 22, 2009 at 10:22 pm

-Sean

• O

ObliskOct 22, 2009 at 11:02 am

I have more respect for the taxpayers of the great state of California (in their footing most of the cost of our university education) than to partake in a something as trivial as a walkout.

• O

ObliskOct 22, 2009 at 6:02 pm

• E

EWIOct 22, 2009 at 11:00 am

why did the collegian use a golf photo to represent the student walkout? Are those Tiger’s Adidas shoes?

• E

EWIOct 22, 2009 at 6:00 pm

JohnathanOct 22, 2009 at 6:05 am

Jennifer, there was a diverse group of students protesting in the crowd yesterday. If you actually attended the event you would’ve seen that. Also, there is a purpose in deleting comments and it is not censorship. Please stop trying to get sympathy for your cause by pretending you and others are being shut down and that your previous comments were acceptable in any way.

JohnathanOct 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm

JenniferOct 22, 2009 at 3:36 am

BTW deleting comments doesn’t solve anything. Censorship doesn’t get the discussion moving anywhere.

JenniferOct 22, 2009 at 10:36 am

AshleyOct 22, 2009 at 3:27 am

Mary B.,

Education is not a right, it is a privilege. To even try to suggest otherwise is an embarrassment.

How can anyone argue that education is only accessible to middle and upper social economic level students? The cost to attend Fresno State is only $5000 for an entire year. An entire year!!!!!!!! Who can’t afford that? Are you kidding me? I could see where someone attending a private school like USC, Santa Clara, USD, Pepperdine might be priced out of attending college there due to having to pay $40,000+ for one year. You got that????? $40,000+ for one single year. You can graduate from Fresno State for $25,000 dollars. Students here have no right to complain. It is dirt cheap to attend school here. Unless you live in a dumpster, there is no reason to complain about the cost of tuition here.

Some people just don’t get it. Quit complaining and making a fool out of yourselves. It is embarrassing.

Stop saying F this and F that all the time at the rallies too through the megaphones. That lack of class was disgusting to hear from inside the library. Totally revolting.

AshleyOct 22, 2009 at 10:27 am

Mary B.,

Mari B.Oct 22, 2009 at 1:16 am

I don’t’ understand why rude and inappropriate comments have to be made, when students are trying to make a difference for education? I don’t understand why comments about race have to come into play. Would it have mattered if it was non-Chicanos rallying and organizing for the event? Who cares what ethnicity the students who organized the event were!!! The matter of the fact is, sooner or later, education will be only accessible to those in middle and upper social-economic standings. The right vs. privilege issue in regards to education can swing either left or right, it all depends on how you see it. I just don’t believe you should trash talk.

Mari B.Oct 22, 2009 at 8:16 am

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 12:08 am

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I am sure whoever made this thought that walking out and protesting was a good idea!

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 7:08 am

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 12:06 am

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

“Promote Genral Welfare” That sounds Familiar..it is in our constitution

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 7:06 am

• N

NickOct 21, 2009 at 11:54 pm

The True is that we live ina capitalist system and we need more coorporation to pay for schools, teachers, books, and why not they should set the Curricula we ahould learn.

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 6:54 am

• N

NickOct 21, 2009 at 11:51 pm

He hate Me you are right, we shold let coorporation have control of our Universities…like CocaCola, or Ford, or Pizza hut…

• N

NickOct 22, 2009 at 6:51 am

• H

He Hate MeOct 21, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Mari, education a right. Until you hit 18 years of age. You can’t expect a welfare system to take care of you cradle to grave. Primary and secondary education are by many measures, free to all who choose to utilize the public system—-your taxes cover it. Society needs adults to contribute at least partially into their higher education.

• H

He Hate MeOct 22, 2009 at 6:43 am

jesus anarcho christOct 21, 2009 at 11:26 pm

a lot of people think the walk out was a waste of time. i would have to agree with most of that statement. i believe that things must get a lot more aggressive if things are going to change. taking school back a building at a time!

jesus anarcho christOct 22, 2009 at 6:26 am

BillyOct 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Well what happened to the original discussion? All the hostility coming from ignorant people has turned this forum about a walkout into an immature, unnecessary argument in which blatent racism is being thrown around and supposed “educated” people are bickering.
    Truly sad.

BillyOct 22, 2009 at 6:05 am

Truly sad.

• F

Fake Name Number 300Oct 21, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Also, I suggest people get the facts from legitimate sources as opposed to just random people speaking about what’s going on and from this post. That way you will know the real facts as opposed to the wrong information.

• F

Fake Name Number 300Oct 22, 2009 at 6:00 am

BillyOct 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Wait,Wasn’t Welty the one that increased the fees last year after the students had vote no?

BillyOct 22, 2009 at 5:56 am

• F

Fake Name Number 300Oct 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm

I hope the editors/people at the Collegian take note of these comments and do a better job of deleting/approving certain comments.

• F

Fake Name Number 300Oct 22, 2009 at 5:55 am

BriannaOct 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I’m ashamed of the cultural ignorance that exists in our community when it is so diverse. The reason why some would not believe in activism to bring about awareness to change injustices is because the generations before them never had to. We’re university students but I question exactly why so much money is being spent on behalf of those who can surely afford it like myself, and still embarrass themselves of their ignorance and LACK of education. Obviously the university is doing a terrible job in educating the majority of students. Check up on your history.

BriannaOct 22, 2009 at 5:51 am

• U

ueuecoyotOct 21, 2009 at 10:50 pm

thank you who !

• U

ueuecoyotOct 22, 2009 at 5:50 am

thank you who !

• U

ueuecoyotOct 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Can we try to act like educated people. If you disagree with peoples points you discuss it not attack people for the color of their skin or the country they were born. First you take my land and now that you are attempting to take my education I’m to just let you take it. For the record i am not Mexican, American, or any other label you may decide to pin on me. I’m and indigenous to this land, I am native. And i speak and write the language of these idiots better then most of them do.

• U

ueuecoyotOct 22, 2009 at 5:49 am

• U

ueuecoyotOct 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm

i believe that the ignorance found on Fresno State is vast. People in this state, specifically the valley, lack passion for things that matter to their very own future. Here we have a group of organizers attempting to better the conditions of education, and we have people mocking their ethnicity. how ignorant can these idiots be? Please

• L

lak;sdkgsadmn;vsdklfOct 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Do you have a list of names you just randomly choose from for every online post that you post on trying to make it seem like it’s more than just you with the opinion or is it all memorized in your head like some evil plot?

• U

ueuecoyotOct 22, 2009 at 5:43 am

• L

lak;sdkgsadmn;vsdklfOct 22, 2009 at 5:43 am

alison whiteOct 21, 2009 at 10:42 pm

im white and i was there! in solidarity with the mexicans

alison whiteOct 22, 2009 at 5:42 am

• I

IndividuoOct 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm

yeah!!! drastic actions are most likely to accomplish than anything else!! the sit in at the four floor after the march was excellent and we got to set up a date and time to negotiate the DEMANDS with pres. Welty. WElty showed up after two hours of sit in at the four floor of the library!!!
    For everyone, the Walkout Negotiation with pres. Welty will be on Tuesday Nov. 3 at 12 noon peace garden, if it rains…we’ll take it to the Satellite student Union at same time…that’s what we agreed on with pres. welty!!!
    Shout outs to all the participating members in the walkout/rally/march…and sit in presenting the demands in the library!!! there was 82 students sitting in wating for welty to appear!!
    yea… keep the activism going!!!

SaluDos!

• I

IndividuoOct 22, 2009 at 5:05 am

yea… keep the activism going!!!

SaluDos!

Juan GuevaraOct 21, 2009 at 9:54 pm

First of all, if you really respect tax payer contribution, then you would want a good quality and affordable education, instead of having them pay a S*** load of money for a poor quality education.

Second of all, to those that say that nothing was accomplished, you are WRONG!!!. The Administration listened to students who participated in the event. On Nov. 3rd, there will be negotiations with the administration authorities, including Welty at the Peace Garden at 12:00 noon. We accomplished more by acting, rather than not doing anything and just accepting all the fee increases. Poor quality education and increases in Welty’s salary is what we get in return for the fee increases. This is not the end ,this is barely the beginning.

Also, this event was not organized by the same group from the elections…Please do not be so ignorant and do your research, the PEDRO Party was a totally different group. The walk out is a collaboration from many different organizations and students from different backgrounds.

Juan GuevaraOct 22, 2009 at 4:54 am

whitney thompsonOct 21, 2009 at 9:08 pm

today, i looked around me with pride at Fresno State students finally standing up and taking action. We collected over 400 signatures to give to legislators to pressure them to support AB 656. The best part is is that we are not done yet.

Students for Quality Education hopes you will join us on Oct. 28th in Psyh/Health/science rm 106 2pm to help us plan our next action.

today was epic and it couldn’t have been done with out all the hard work of the csu walkout coalition and the other sqe members. i am in debt to all these amazing passionate people

Please come and help us organize our next action…this ain’t over!

my fav. part about today was when i turned around, our march had no end in sight!

whitney thompsonOct 22, 2009 at 4:08 am

• R

Raymond M.Oct 22, 2009 at 4:04 am

It was really ironic to see many people in support of the walkout. I guess some of the main people were many of the elitist groups that got their 30 seconds of fame on the news. The funny thing about this is that most of the students receive some sort of financial aid and that was one of the factors that the CSU office came up with is to help those in need and to basically cover their costs. You here many stories that they won’t have time to study but have to work so that will hurt study time. Well, that is a reality check you think people in the real world are going to give a care when you get into a profession. You come up with an excuse your going to find your way out the door. It is great to protest but not for something as a walkout what does it accomplish nothing in my mind. I noticed most of the people that organized it were part of a Chicano group which have been vocal in the past which is their own business. If many in their group had so much organizational support what happened in the ASI elections they failed to take control. On the news you have idiots denouncing the ASI leaders which I don’t really care about but let them do their job. These chicano groups failed already getting members in office. I am not on here to bash anybody my parents were immigrants themselves from the Island of Cuba and they had to work hard. When my father got a job for the city making 24,000 a year I didn’t quality for any type of aid accept for loans. But I didn’t make a big deal about. That is wrong with our society not only to the people at the social services office or even college students. Everybody wants to milk the system like I think most of these college students that were in the walkout. Just remember those SUG grants and pell grants are supported by the taxpayers of California. It is people like myself in the medical field in the middle class are getting taxed for such educational programs. So, it is really tiring to see all these people in the walkout saying that they are, “victims of Society.” Get used to it that is life.

• R

Raymond M.Oct 21, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Jennifer ROct 21, 2009 at 7:57 pm

the local news did some footage of our protest today:

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7076635

for the past couple weeks i’ve been helping publicize the walkout on campus…. today, all our hard work paid off…around 400 students showed up, and we marched around campus and even out to shaw. the feeling was amazing….to be caught up in such a large crowd, to be yelling and waving signs and walking together in unity for something you care about…onlookers were honking from their cars, or waving at us, which gave us an extra boost and made us even louder. it was so much fun….and we even got 424 signatures to pressure the state legislature to pass a bill that will bring in more funding for state colleges! woohoo! we rock! ** still feeling the afterglow**

p.s. abc said that the walkout “was perhaps the largest demonstration on the Fresno State campus since the seventies” ! a big thank you to all who came!

Jennifer ROct 22, 2009 at 2:57 am

Sean LowrieOct 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Mari, I was recommended an interesting book by a recent graduate of the music department who is now a public school music teacher.

The book is Ivan Illich’s Deschooling Society. I just finished reading it, and my mother-in-law is currently reading it right now. After that I can easily return it to the library here where I got it and you could read it.

He puts forth a fairly complete plan of how in 1970 he was envisioning a world in which education is both de-institutionalized and free for everyone to access.

I don’t agree with everything he put forward, but I think you’d find the read at least stimulating.

I have just one concern when you say education is a right. If you mean education should be barred no-one and that everyone has the freedom to educate themselves as they see fit for as long or as little as they wish I back you totally.

I’m just hoping you don’t mean that institutionalized education, emphasis institutionalized, is a right. Because that would of necessity mean that all who provide that service are totally bound to give it their rights notwithstanding. Either that or we all have to pay taxes to provide it for those who cannot pay on their own.

Either method is slavery. Slavery for good an benevolent works yes. It is still slavery, and I couldn’t in that case support the Right of Education if that right denies anyone the most basic right: Liberty. In fact I would fight long and hard to stop that form of tyranny.

So that’s why I’m hoping you’re aiming for de-institutionalized education, because then each person bears their own responsibility solely and no-one has the opportunity to violate another in the quest of knowledge.

-Sean

Sean LowrieOct 22, 2009 at 2:50 am

-Sean

Mari B.Oct 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I was part of the walk out and I am very proud to say that I was a part of history. I was a volunteer for SQE and if it wasn’t for their interest in trying to bring light to the issue of higher tuition cost and professor layoffs, the walk-out would have not been possible. Students along with faculty have to get involved and have to speak up for their rights!

No more cuts, no more fees, EDUCATION SHOULD BE FREE. I became involved with SQE and the issues affecting education because I am a first generation student and I want to give the opportunity, the well deserved opportunity, to my people and sisters and brothers from years to come, to attend school. In the end EDUCATION IS A RIGHT, NOT A PRIVLEGE. I

Mari B.Oct 22, 2009 at 2:37 am

James P. Wentworth IIIOct 21, 2009 at 3:01 pm

I don’t support walkouts because they’re for poor people and I love to pretend like I’m rich while going to school off my parents’ money while I myself don’t even have a
    job. I’d rather spend my time driving around in the Beamer my parents bought me for my Super Sweet Sixteen celebration. It was awesome! My parents who are so rich AND paying for my education even got the rapper Lil’ Wayne to perform! All the kids at my high school were mad jealous. Rock on!

James P. Wentworth IIIOct 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Sean LowrieOct 21, 2009 at 1:43 pm

The thing of it is I can’t join the walkout for more State education money if I’ve been shouting “end government monopoly of education!” Those two views don’t make best bed-buddies.

I’m fairly well convinced after reading a lot on various topics of interest these last months that our furloughs and whatnot are symptoms of something greater than, oh we’re short on dough, hey-o.

No, California is the prime example of why statism, the all present relationship between people and government, doesn’t work. Us Californians have asked our republic here and its Legislature and various departments to give us so much. Give us unlimited schooling! Give us unlimited health care! Give us assurances against all things that can hurt us!

Of course all of this costs inordinate loads of tax money. If we had proportional tax on sales, or income, or some fair tax we would have ended this madness long ago. However, much like the Federal Government we here also have a progressive tax.

A system whereby everyone plunders everyone.

Those who have the most to give, usually those ‘evil big businesses’ go elsewhere, elsewhere being not in California where we can tax them. (aside: I to am against CORPORATISM, ironically our statist ways encourage corporatism and discourage common capitalism) Now with the engineered national depression we finally find ourselves to have slipped off that last rope of safety completely. We are falling to the doom of big government.

And still we shout, no cuts in my backyard!

It’s not that I am against the large crowd I saw pass by a half hour ago. They have their hearts in the right place. They probably are drawing the best conclusions they can from the limited and watered down, very sanitary information they have been given.

I challenge every walk-outer to instead go an educate themselves about the big and monstrous problems of the legacy progressivism and the modern left have bequeathed us. Let us again be liberal people, in the truest sense of the word. Let’s not continue everyone plundering everyone.

To this end I recommend the following books that I have found quite worthy:
    John Taylor Gatto’s The Underground History of American Education (free on his website, just Google it!)
    Mark Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny: a Conservative Manifesto
    Jonah Golberg’s Liberal Facism

Take care all!

-Sean Lowrie

Sean LowrieOct 21, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Jonah Golberg’s Liberal Facism

Take care all!

-Sean Lowrie

• O

ObliskOct 21, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I have more respect for the taxpayers of the great state of California (in their footing most of the cost of our university education) to partake in a walkout.

• O

ObliskOct 21, 2009 at 7:39 pm