Warriors drop after disappointment

."
Joel Kutaka / Ka Leo O Hawaii

No. 1 Boise State Broncos (5-0, 1-0 in WAC)
Last Week: Beat UC Davis, 34-16, in Boise
Next Opponent: at Tulsa (Oct. 14)
Why No. 1?: Boise State remains on top of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) rankings after a victory over UC Davis. However, it seemed like the Broncos did not play at their best and struggled against a 1-3 team. If the Broncos get back to their regular ways, they have an outside shot at a national championship.

No. 2 Idaho Vandals (4-1, 1-0 in WAC)
Last Week:
Beat Colorado State, 31-29, in Moscow
Next Opponent: San Jose State
Why No. 2?: They have doubled their win total already from 2008 and after beating Colorado State this past weekend, the Vandals showed that they are for real. They are favored in the game against San Jose State and could get to five wins before November. It may be too early, but the Nov. 14 matchup against Boise State could be for a WAC title.

No. 3 Fresno State Bulldogs (1-3, 0-1 in WAC)
Last Week: Bye
Next Opponent: at Hawaii
Why No. 3?: Fresno State is looking to regain some confidence as they head to Hawaii to take on the Warriors. A win in this game would end a three-game losing streak and show that Fresno State is on its way back to winning. After losses in consecutive weeks to three Top 25 undefeated teams, Hawaii may be a little easier to get by.

No. 4 Nevada Wolf Pack (1-3, 0-0 in WAC)
Last Week:
Beat UNLV, 63-28, in Reno
Next Opponent: Louisiana Tech
Why No. 4?: After starting the season with a 35-0 loss to Notre Dame and 35-20 loss to Colorado State, the offense seemed to finally wake up for the Wolf Pack as they put up 63 points against UNLV. It will be interesting to see what team shows up against Louisiana Tech and to see if the Wolf Pack can challenge Boise State later this year.

No. 5 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (2-2, 1-0 in WAC)
Last Week:
Beat Hawaii, 27-6, in Ruston
Next Opponent: at Nevada
Why No. 5?: Louisiana Tech travels to Reno to take on the awakened Wolf Pack offense and try to improve to 2-0 in the WAC. Louisiana Tech got a great effort from its defense and senior tailback Daniel Porter, who had 160 yards rushing on 25 carries and two touchdowns.

No. 6 Hawaii Warriors (2-2, 0-1 in WAC)
Last Week:
Lost to Louisiana Tech, 27-6, in Ruston
Next Opponent: Fresno State
Why No. 6?: Hawaii lost not only the game but also its starting quarterback, Greg Alexander, to a knee injury. They now rely on junior-college transfer Bryant Moniz to run the offense. It will be interesting to see if the Hawaii offense misses any steps playing against a hungry Fresno State team.

No. 7 Utah State (1-3, 0-0 in WAC)
Last Week:
Lost to BYU, 35-17, in Provo
Next Opponent: at New Mexico State
Why No. 7?: Utah State has played better than its 1-3 record indicates. The Aggies have had close losses against Texas A&M, BYU and Utah. Utah State should be favored to win at New Mexico State and its experience against Top 25 teams should help them win this game.

No. 8 San Jose State (1-3, 0-0 in WAC)
Last Week:
Bye
Next Opponent: at Idaho
Why No. 8?: San Jose State travels to Moscow to take on the much-improved Vandals. With their next four games against the top four teams in the WAC, the Spartans can easily be 1-7 entering the month of November.

No. 9 New Mexico State (2-3, 0-1 in WAC)
Last Week:
Lost to San Diego State, 34-17, in San Diego
Next Opponent: Utah State
Why No. 9?: The Aggies do have two wins, however, both were by three points against Prairie View A&M and New Mexico. Their usually high-powered passing offense has been anemic. Sophomore quarterback Jeff Fleming only has 429 yards and two touchdowns in five games.