Tom Van Groningen

When Tom Van Groningen remembers his football career with the Fresno State Bulldogs in the early ‘50s, he immediately thinks of the friendships that were formed on the team.

“I thoroughly enjoyed the game,â€Â said 77-year-old Van Groningen in a phone interview. “We weren’t all that successful from a win/loss perspective, but I developed relationships with fellow players that have become life long, and we still stay in contact with some of them today. Those are the kind of experiences that stand out.â€Â

Van Groningen was recruited out of high school to play tackle for the ‘Dogs in 1950. At 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, Van Groningen joked that he probably couldn’t even get on the field in today’s game. His days as a player were cut short after two years when he suffered a knee injury and multiple concussions.

Van Groningen graduated from California State University, Fresno in 1954 after receiving his bachelor̢۪s degree in physical education with a history minor. He went on to earn a master̢۪s degree from Fresno State and a doctorate at the University of Southern California.

“Fresno State was very good to me, and I gained a tremendous amount of experience there,â€Â Van Groningen said.

His career has taken him from classroom teacher and football coach in Layton, Calif. to chancellor of the Yosemite Community College District in Modesto. He retired in 1992 and continues to do consulting work for community colleges from his home in Modesto, as well as serve on a number of community organizations.

Van Groningen and his college sweetheart, Grace, married in 1952 and have two children and five grandchildren. Although his football playing days are in the past, Van Groningen said he still loves the sport and attends games regularly.