The world is but a canvas to the ‘imagine-nation’

."
Marina Gaytan / The Collegian

Not long after taking his first entrepreneurship class at California State University, Fresno, Vrej Postoyan, embarked on a venture to market his appreciation for arts to the masses.

Postoyan, 23, said he applied the skills he learned while taking an entrepreneurship course to launch an upstart business. After obtaining a business license in March 2008, Postoyan started an online clothing company called Imagine Nation Clothing.

Postoyan, whose company specializes in designing graphic T-shirts, showcases his passion for art.

“We want it to be about art,â€Â Postoyan said. The shirts, according to Postoyan, are intended to convey that goal rather than promote a brand name.

The designs are stamped exclusively on the lower back of the garment, because the front, Postoyan explained, are more like that of a canvas. Postoyan said that this keeps the style of his clothing unique.

Postoyan believes art is an “untapped resource.â€Â Clothing brands like Ed Hardy, Postyan argued, only gained popularity because they were originally marketed to celebrities.

According to Postoyan, he was inspired to launch his business after taking an introduction to entrepreneurship class at Fresno State.
Dr. Timothy Stearns, who Postoyan calls his business inspiration, taught the course.

Stearns said that the class teaches students how to apply business skills as well as how to deliver ideas. “The intent of the class is to get as close to the feel of being an entrepreneur as possible without being an actual entrepreneur,â€Â Stearns said.

While taking the class, Postoyan said he became confident enough to apply for his own business license. Postoyan holds a business license in retail/wholesaling from the City of Fresno, according to records from the Better Business Bureau.

Despite being in a depressed retail market, Postoyan and his partner Zach Bohny believe in their venture. “I found my niche,â€Â Postoyan said.
Bohny, a business major at Fresno City College, designs the T-shirts for Postyan. Bohny, who said his passion is art and fashion, sketches the designs before they are shipped from Postoyan̢۪s home.

Bohnny, like Postoyan, says that his objective is to create works of art. Bohnny̢۪s designs range from bird silhouettes to people with bug-like antennas. The designs, likewise, come in a broad spectrum of colors.

Postoyan purchases unisex tees from American Apparel before adding Bohnny̢۪s signature designs. Customers are provided with a choice between standard round neck and v-neck style T-shirts. Although, Postoyan said he did not care for v-neck T-shirts, he recognized their popularity among students. Soon after, he added them to his clothing line and noticed that many of his customers ordered them.

Postoyan attended multiple schools prior to settling at Fresno State. He spent a year at University of California, Santa Cruz before moving to Fresno City College where he earned his associate of arts degree in liberal studies.

Postoyan said that he experienced difficulties in finding a major that really interested him. However, once entrepreneurship caught his attention, he knew he would one day be self-employed.

His advice to other entrepreneurs: “First, do your research before starting,â€Â Postoyan said. “Second, know what you’re getting yourself into, and third, have capital to back it up.â€Â

Postoyan explained that he talked to his instructors at Fresno State prior to creating Imagine Nation Clothing, but also currently seeks their advice. He believes that their help greatly influenced his progress.